Random Shutdowns

edited September 2006 in Hardware
My computer keeps shutting down, but only when im playing World of Warcraft. I already ran a memtest, cleaned the comp, taken the case off ans put a fan next to it and did virus/spyware/ad ware scans. But still when I go to play WoW I get myb 5-20min of game time in before my computer just shuts off, it doesnt go into a rerboot either, it just shuts off like you hit the power switch. I can surf the net, listen to tunes and chat it up on msn with no problems, but even when I try to run WoW and only WoW it shuts down on me. Any ideas to help me eliviate this very annoying problem? Any and all help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    If the pc turns off and doesn't reboot, it's usually reaching the mac CPU temperature and shuts itself off to protect the cpu. Are you overclocking? You said you put a fan next to it, how hott is the room you are in? The cpu fan could be clogged full of dust bunnies, try using a Blow off Duster on the inside components.
    You can try using Motherboard Monitor to see the temperatures of the components inside.

A last resort could be trying to redo the thermal paste on the cpu/underside of heatsink fan with some Artic Silver 5.

Try running Sp2004 on a Stress CPU test to see if your pc reboots while doing that, or if it fails. If you have have al-core/Hyperthreading CPU, use the Orthos 2004 version. This will heat up your cpu extremely.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited September 2006
    First the possibility of overheating...then bad power supply as your next step to figuring out the problem.