Computer refuses to recognize USB drive

ValveFloatValveFloat SLC, UT
edited September 2006 in Hardware
My desktop is having issues being able to recognize a 2 gig Sandisk USB drive I bought for school. It works great in my laptop, my girlfriend's computer, and just about any other machine I've tried it in, but my desktop will not function with it plugged in. I stick it in the USB port, the little activity light on the drive goes on, and nothing happens. If I try to open my computer, the system hangs. Nothing can really be done on the computer until I unplug the drive.

I know the USB port is in tip top shape because I transfer files from my digital camera with it almost daily (and we're talking large size transfers too, and it's fine). What could be the problem?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2006
    Do you have a p4 with an ICH5R southbirdge by any chance ?.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    my mom's work had trouble with compaqs - sometimes there is a drive letter conflict somewhere.

start->control panel->administrative tools->computer management-> disk management

see if the drive shows up there and try changing the drive letter assignment by right clicking on it.
  • ValveFloatValveFloat SLC, UT
    edited September 2006
    Tried the suggestion...no dice. When I right click on the drive the system hangs. And no, it isn't a P4. Its just a little old 1.2Ghz Athlon. Any more suggestions? Thanks for the help guys
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited September 2006
    Do other flashdrives work on it? Since your comp recognizes a camera (another USB mass storage device) I tend to want to pick on the flash drive a little bit.

Have you reformatted the drive? Put it in your girlfriend's computer (I mean the flash drive, not...welll...anyway) and reformat it.

I've had a few USB problems that were solved with an updated BIOS too.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    The old mobo bios may not recognize such a large USB drive.
    One of mine will not read a 1GB flash, though it just ignores it.