cant shut down or restart

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello,

when i try to restart or shut down my computer it just goes to a blank blue screen and stays there. any ideas??

Ive been able to get around this by just unplugging my computer but now im trying to format my computer but i dont seem to be able to boot off the xp cdrom. I think not restarting properly may be the problem.

Can anyone help/?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    It sounds like there might be a program or other process which doesn't want to shut down properly. Sometimes this can be caused by a spyware (or worse) problem. Post a HijackThis log and we'll see if there is anything suspicious there. If the reason you want to format the drive is solely to correct this problem, we might be able to save you the trouble.

If you'd like to just go ahead with the format, give some details about your system. If it's a name brand, tell us the brand and model#. If not, tell us what motherboard you have. You might also describe exactly what you have tried so far to get the computer to boot from the cdrom drive, and what specific problems you've encountered when trying them. :)
  • edited September 2006
    Thanks for your reply profdlp. I have given my computer to a friend who seems to know about these things and I am hoping he can fix it. I will let you know how it goes and if I require any more assistance. I greatly appreciate all the help I have recieved on this forum from you guys.

Thanks again!