CPU Advice?

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello all,
I am thinking about upgrading my cpu. I currently have a (939)AMD64 x2 4200 running at 2.5ghz. I was thinking about getting an AMD64 x2 4800 Toledo. What cpu would you guys recommend? :bigggrin:

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I say save your dough! Looking at what you have and what it is running at you won't really notice any improvement by upgrading. If you are a gamer a new vid card would be a beter choice. The only thing that would be a big enough improvememnt would be to go Conroe with a whole new system!
  • edited September 2006
    Yeah, I was worried that was what I was going to hear. Part of me feels the same way. And part of me also wants to buy some new hardware and try it out. I want to make my box faster, but I don't want to throw my money away. I 'm definitely running out of ways to make my box faster without upgrading to AM2 or Core 2 Duo, and I don't want to do that for at least another year probably.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited September 2006
    I agree with Mt_Goat, just save your $$$$s for the next upgrade in a years time, as you will really see an improvement over your current comp, unless you go Conroe now or wait for Kentsfield (4 core) in November, updating with AMD for the little bit of extra speed is just not worth it.

Datsun 1600
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    If you want to stay AMD you can invest in a new AM2 socket which will be AMDs platform for some time to come.... if not save the cash for new memory and new Graphics cards that are coming. 8800GTX is on its way :)
  • edited September 2006
    I guess I'll just have to hold my horses for the AMD quad cores. Thanks fellas.