4 New Cores Churning Away

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Folding@Home
Well, our yearbook computers came in, which are equiped with Xeon 5110 processors.

Right now I have hyperthreading disabled and two instances running on each computer since the processors are dual core.

Would it give me any kind of increase in production to enable hyperthreading? If so, how much would production increase?

Also, how do you set up the affinity of the instance when it is a service. When I set it up, set all of the preferences and did the initial gobbly gook, then I went to the task manager and set the affinity of both instances. The restarted the computer.

In services.msc, it says that they are running, and they indeed are, but how do you know if they are each running on their own core? I've never had to bother with that before.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    In services.msc, it says that they are running, and they indeed are, but how do you know if they are each running on their own core? I've never had to bother with that before.

Does task manager show the usage at 100% for each core?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    yup
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    If HT does help, the difference will be negligble. If anything, I think it would slow you down by having 4 instances running and all of them using system ram.