FYI: SM8 Video Card Woes

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited September 2006 in Folding@Home
Well, the past couple of weeks Ive been having some issues with SM8. Her video card seemed to have died. I tried replacing it with another card (a 9800XT) but the fan on that card is toast.

Im in the process of hunting down a PCI video card for her. Before I buy one are there any spares from the SMx project?

Also I am not sure how long the box has been out of commission. I went one day to use it, and noticed it was locked up. Rebooted her, and got 8 beeps. Tried that 9800XT which seems to work for an hour or so before that card overheats.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    FormFactor wrote:
    ...Before I buy one are there any spares from the SMx project?...
    No need to buy one, we have loads of PCI video cards and perhaps even an AGP card which will work in that ECS K7S5A v1.0 motherboard.

Send me a PM verifying your current shipping address and I'll send one right out. :)
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    No need to buy one, we have loads of PCI video cards and perhaps even an AGP card which will work in that ECS K7S5A v1.0 motherboard.

Send me a PM verifying your current shipping address and I'll send one right out. :)

Awesome! Thanks Prof!! YGPM!
    edited September 2006
    Courtesy of the donor, GnomeWizardd, we have a nice Voodoo4 4500 for SM8. If you look under the column marked "Part/Model No." for "210-0403-001" over at this page you can find a link for drivers, etc.

:woowoo: :fold:
    edited September 2006
    Saweet! That should work out nicely! Thanks again! And thanks to GnomeWizardd for this awesome card.

Long live 3Dfx! :clap:
    edited September 2006
    FormFactor wrote:
    ...Long live 3Dfx! :clap:
    I always feel like I have a little bit of computer history in my hands when dealing with a 3Dfx card. The first (and only, so far) top of the line cutting-edge card I ever bought was a Voodoo 5 5500. :cheers:
    edited September 2006
    Heh agreed. The first card I bought was a Vodoo 3 3000. Loved that card. recommended it to all my room mates, they all bought them, and we had some awesome late night Quake 3 Arena sessions on those cards.

I liked the card so much in fact the next card I bought was a Voodoo 5 5000. Unfortunately 2 weeks after that purchase, 3Dfx was bought out by nVidia, and all driver support was stopped. Very shortly after that WinXP came out, and nary a 3dfx driver was ever officially released. So in the early days it was a struggle getting user created drivers to work. Different drivers, for different games, etc.

Luckily my dad was gullible enough to buy that card. He still uses it to this day.

That little move by nVidia has left a bad taste in my mouth for them ever since. I mean a 250$ vidcard thats basically useless after a couple months, and they completely denied a refund or anything.
    edited September 2006
    FormFactor wrote:
    ...Unfortunately 2 weeks after that purchase, 3Dfx was bought out by nVidia, and all driver support was stopped...
    Same here. :shakehead

BTW: I dropped the card off at the P.O. on my way to the gym this afternoon. You ought to have it by the end of the week. :D
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    ...on my way to the gym this afternoon....

:bs: ;D
    edited September 2006
    As soon as I lose another six pounds I'll show you how wrong you are. ;)
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    BTW: I dropped the card off at the P.O. on my way to the gym this afternoon. You ought to have it by the end of the week. :D

Okay thanks again man. Ill install it the day I recieve it and let you know!