X1950XTX vs. 7950GX2

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

Trying to figure out which card that I would like to get. I have a ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP motherboard which does not support SLI. I was just trying to decide on which card would be the best to go with. I hear that the X1950 has some ups over the 7950GX2 because of a better image. Obviously one is faster though. I am dumbfounded on which to invest in. Of course this is most likely going to be down the road(when DirectX10 comes out). Which brings up a good question, should I wait?

Sorry, that's a lot to respond to.

Thanks

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Yes you should wait. The G80 from Nvidia and the R600 from ATI are both supposed to be the DX 10 cards.
  • edited October 2006
    DanG wrote:
    Yes you should wait. The G80 from Nvidia and the R600 from ATI are both supposed to be the DX 10 cards.

And both are rumored to draw 200+ watts of power too on the high end models.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Yeah but if your going high end, I think the G80 will be a good choice as will the R600 Both are rumored to use more power than we have ever seen... but if you had to buy one now at this very moment.... the 7950GX2 outperforms the 1950XTX in more tests in higher resolutions and it runs cooler and quitter. If your running a machine with a Monitor running lower than 1600 x 1200 save your cash and get a 7900GTX or a 1900XTX and wait for the DX10 cards to become mainstream.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2006
    Either of the two cards you listed will serve you very well. I'm not big on the 'two cards in one' idea, so I'm a little more partial to the X1950. The GX2 is certainly an awesome card though. As far as waiting is concerned.. that is a tough question. New generation cards are always very expensive. I think there will be some major financial incentive to buy the current gen cards as we approach the G80/R600 release date. I'm struggling with the same dillema right now. Mudd brings up a very good point too, the new cards will likely be huge power pigs (not to say that the GX2 or X1900 are terribly efficient either, but the new ones will be even worse).

If you are the type of person that likes to have the top of the line.. I'd wait.. very powerful cards are right around the corner. If you want bang for the buck.. wait another 30 days, and pick up one of the current gen cards as the vendors try to clear inventory.
    edited October 2006
    I noticed the G80 has a SLI tab, but honestly how many PSU's have 4 PCI-E dongles? Let along have 800W of power and 4 PCI-E power cables? I think PSU manufactures are going to benefit from this as well.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Enermax does have a 1000w psu that has 2 built in pcie power cables and includes dongles for 2 more, so it's close, but I don't know how many people want to blow $200+ on just a power supply.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited October 2006
    I think I am going to wait for the G80 to come out. I like that it comes with a water cooled capabilities built in.
    :Rocker:
    edited October 2006
    It sounds like the G80 will be a huge power house with the rumor of a 1.5Ghz scaleable core.. I can't wait to get my hands on it... I guess the release of this new card will force me to do some water-cooling, as it is built on :)
  • edited October 2006
    dont know if this helps but i have a 7950 card and it posted a score of 15368 on 3dmark05 ?