Toshiba Satellite A70 - Atheros Network Adaptor Issue

edited September 2006 in Hardware
I am trying to help a friend get her laptop running again and have run into all sorts of crap. I am pretty literate with network adaptor configuration/troubleshooting but I am stumped with this one. Was going to just do a full system restore on it, but she does not have the recovery CD. Contacted Toshiba and they informed me the warranty expired less than a month ago. Problem is this:

Network adaptor is an Atheros AR5005GS wireless. When I open the Atheros client utility it tells me that the radio is disabled, but when I click the menu tab to enable it I cannot select enable or manual LEAP login. When I run the diagnostics on it the running radio test fails and when I look at the report for it it says to enable the radio through the client utility. Round and round we go!

So I open the network connection properties menu. I have the firewall turned off, make sure Atheros is set to control instead of windows (have tried Windows control too), open device manager (which always seems to say things are "working properly" when they obviously aren't!) driver is fine (newest version), says there are no conflicts with other devices.

Any suggestions for a workaround to enable this device or restore w/out the recovery cd? She is leaving on a trip today and it is essential she have a working internet connection on her laptop.

btw - I tried plugging it right into the ethernet connection and that didn't work either. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Have you tried re-running the Network Setup Wizard and making a new connection?
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Have you tried re-running the Network Setup Wizard and making a new connection?

Yes. Since the card is not transmitting/receiving it does not see any available networks. The Realtek ethernet card is down too. Thought it might be a bad wireless card, but don't think both wireless and ethernet are suddenly bad together. Both have worked in the past (but the laptop has nit been used in a couple of months).

Any other thoughts??
  • edited September 2006
    Got it fixed. Thanks!
    edited September 2006
    When I run into trouble with Windows Networking, I often find it easiest to blow out all the network connections (not necessary in your case...), and remove all network adapters. Try booting in Safe Mode, go to Device Manager, click "View" then "Show Hidden Devices" and remove as many items under "Network Adapters" as you can. Reboot and let Windows try again.

Since it detects the card (seemingly correctly), can you go into the Properties for the device and see if any of the settings there look to be awry?
    edited September 2006
    jcbridges wrote:
    Got it fixed. Thanks!
    Didn't see that while I was typing my last post. Glad you got it. :cheers:

What did you do to get it going?