ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded & no safe mode

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Ack! It's been a rough 24 hours. Here's what happened.
1. Wife used our Toshiba laptop Wednesday morning.

2. When she shutdown she accepted "Install Updates and Shut Down".

3. When she booted up again later in the day, she got the classic "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32/drivers/isapnp.sys. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM."

4. Not a big deal. (Right!). So I put in the install DVD and powered up, hit F12 to setup so it would read the DVD first.

5. But what I got was "File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7. Setup cannot continue. Press any key."

6. So I've read through some Microsoft knowledge base things and dug through some things on the Toshiba website. Toshiba site says pressing F8 as I boot up will get me to where I can choose safe mode. But that doesn't do anything, i.e., nothing happens and I get the ntkrnlmp message again.

7. I should mentioned that Norton GoBack appears when I first boot up. I have tried restoring to earlier times using GoBack, but this hasn't helped, i.e., I still get the ntkrnmp message.

8. As the lovely vertical white and black bars go to the right during bootup, the screen flashes tha F6 will let me install 3rd party software, but pressing that doesn't do anything either.

9. I also tried switching from using my backup copy DVD to the original DVD that came with the laptop. Both of them lead to the ntkrnlmp message. So it's not a DVD problem.

10. I would suspect a hardware problem, but this happened on the heels of my wife allowing the automatic update.

===> I just want to get the machine working again, even if I have to rebuild from scratch. Any advice out there?? <===

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Most laptops make the Function keys do double-duty. See if you don't have a key marked F-Lock (or something similar) to enable their Function mode.
  • edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Most laptops make the Function keys do double-duty. See if you don't have a key marked F-Lock (or something similar) to enable their Function mode.

Good idea. I'll check it out later today. Thanks.