M2N32-SLI Deluxe (w.e.) internet connection issue?

edited September 2006 in Hardware
After I installed the drivers for the on-board WiFi and connected to my wireless network I was able to connect to the internet no problem. But at some point it suddenly started to return "host not found" messages, and wouldn't connect no more. Uninstalling and reinstalling did fix it. But then my wife yesterday was looking at her web mail and something similar happened again. She couldn't remember the exact error message but was getting the option to let Windows "repair" the connection, which she took, and it did.

This morning I started IE and it was fine. I switched to my wife's account, launched IE, typed www.yahoo.com and IE froze solid. It even refused to let itself be shut down. I had to cut the power by holding in the PC's power button. I then rebooted and everything was hunky dory.

Still. Doesn't fill me with confidence that the on-board WiFi is working all that well. Anything I can do? Newer drivers or whatnot!?

Case: Antec Performance One P180
Power: OCZ Technology ATX 450 Watt
Board: M2N32-SLI Deluxe (wireless edition)
BIOS: 603
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2
Mem: TwinMOS DDR2 PC4200 2048MB as 2x 1024
533MHz (PC2-4300), CL4, Unbuffered 1.8V, in slots 1 and 3
Video: XFX GeForce 7300GS 256MB DDRII, HD-ready
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA2 320GB
DVD: LG DVD Drive GDR-8164RBB 16x52
DVD-RW: NEC DVD+/-RW burner ND-3550A, 16x

WinXP Professional w. SP2

Comments

• edited September 2006
    Some further info: it appeared to "time out" after short periods of inactivity after which, even though it happily reports to be connected to your network, it will not resolve any DNS names so you can't access the internet at all. Same thing tended to happen when switching users.

Good news is, I think I may have resolved it: On the ASUS WiFi-AP Solo config screen there is a tick box for "Windows Zero Config". This was unticked. I ticked it, promptly losing connectivity, but then went to configure it through the Settings on the Wireless Network Connection in my "Network Connections" (winXP), and, fingers crossed, it has been fine since. Switching users, too, caused no problems. Something to consider.:thumbsup: