Helicopter flying in the DC bf1942 mod

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2003 in Gaming
Joystick or mouse?

Im trying with the mouse, but it is much harder than flying a plane. Should I buy a joystick? If so any recomendations?

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    My best advice is to start up your own server so you can practice flying without being shot at. I have a joystick, but I use the mouse for flying. I know other people who use joysticks though, it's just a matter of preference.

Try to think of the weight that you're throwing around when you fly a helicopter. If you swing around one direction fast, you're going to have to then counter that motion with the mouse a little or you'll spin around in circles all day. It all comes with practice, and it gets to be pretty fun :D
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    Aircraft flying in BF1942 is an arcade style, so I don't know if it would justify getting a quality joystick. For more serious sims such as Il2 or Flight Simulator though a joystick is necessary for precise control.

Most people are happy with the Saitek and Microsoft force feedback joysticks. The Logitechs are "ok."
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited October 2003
    I use a basic USB sidewinder

I am 1337 at flying teh choppers

I can try and teach you some stuff you want.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I fly with the keyboard!! :buck: IMHO the hard part about playing with the keyboard is doing tight turns to circle a flag or something but you can do some great stuff with a joystick. If you don't want a joystick, I suggest you get a gamepad with throttle.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Nothing will work right as there was no such thing as helos in WW-II. ;)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    Nothing will work right as there was no such thing as helos in WW-II. ;)
    Desert Combat = Desert Storm mod for BF1942 ;)

www.desertcombat.com
    edited October 2003
    Blackhawk, you should really invest in a joystick, you can't beat it!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I say joystick. I can't fly them with the mouse.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I use keyboard.

You have to constantly adjust between WASD and the arrow keys. But once you get the hang of it, you can r0xx0r them.
    edited October 2003
    I tried for a while with keyboard and mouse..it just didn't work out for me..
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    I do have a logitech wingman gamepad with a throttle, but I havnt tried it in DC. I had a b*tch of a time getting it working in straight bf1942. In fact I dont even know if it did work at all. Anyone tried one of these? Otherwise I may go with your idea Rot Katze and get one of those sidewinder sticks.
    edited October 2003
    yeah I've had this one for a few years with no problems...works wonder on the heli's and jets
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    I remember the first time I flew a helicopter in DC. I was using my mouse and keyboard. I had a full crew, took off, started wobbling a bit, attempted to shoot at a tank, and then promptly crashed into a hill killing us all. I recieved many angry comments from that one. Oddly enough after I explained that it was my first time they were surprised that I made it as far as I did.

All in all it was still pretty fun even if I did get us all killed. Not sure if a joystick would have helped or not though. People I talked to in game seemed to favor mouse and keyboard over the joystick though since they felt it gave them more control.

Norge
    edited October 2003
    Norge had this to say
    All in all it was still pretty fun even if I did get us all killed. Not sure if a joystick would have helped or not though. People I talked to in game seemed to favor mouse and keyboard over the joystick though since they felt it gave them more control.

Norge
    From what I see, the main advantage about the joystick is the throttle. You fly low and take flag by suprise and I guess you can maneuver a bit better or atleast have everything on one hand.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited October 2003
    i would be blown away by anyone that can't fly quite it bit better with a joystick than with a keyboard. the game isn't that realistic, but it is realistic enough to make this point: if keyboards would make it easier to fly helicopters, than someone would have a real one flown with a keyboard.
    edited October 2003
    exactly :)
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited October 2003
    I use a mouse and am very good. I like mouse for rotary aircraft and joystick for mouse.
  • TacoguyTacoguy Colorado
    edited October 2003
    Hi all

I am new to S-M so no flames please. I have been flying RC helis for several years ... nothing like blade tip speeds of 200 MPH to keep you on your toes !

It seems this thread is about a helicopter simulator.

Could someone please give me some insight to these simulators.

Thanks

TG
    edited October 2003
    Tacoguy had this to say
    Hi all

I am new to S-M so no flames please. I have been flying RC helis for several years ... nothing like blade tip speeds of 200 MPH to keep you on your toes !

It seems this thread is about a helicopter simulator.

Could someone please give me some insight to these simulators.

Thanks

TG
    Welcome to S-M :wave:

The game would be Battlefield 1942 and the Desert Combat mod.
  • TacoguyTacoguy Colorado
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the welcome Black Hawk

your response of 1942 and Desert Mod hardly gives me any insight to helicopter sims though. I am not a gamer

Best

TG
    edited October 2003
    :-/ I don't know any helicopter sims
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Tacoguy had this to say
    Thanks for the welcome Black Hawk

your response of 1942 and Desert Mod hardly gives me any insight to helicopter sims though. I am not a gamer

Best

TG

This thread isn't about helicopter sims. We're talking about Battlefield 1942, an online multiplayer first person shooter. There is a mod for it called Desert Combat which puts you in fights with scenery, items, and vehicles from desert storm. There happen to be helicopters to fly and we're talking about the difficulties and what controls to use.
    edited November 2003
    K, I broke down and baught a joystick. I couldnt find a sidewinder anywhere, I think M$ stopped makin em so I ended up with a Logitech Wingman extreme. It IS in fact much easier to fly the helos with this joystick, and lots more fun too.

The throttle does help, but I think the best part aboutt it is the fact that you can twist the stick to rotate the whirrly. I just couldn't get the hang of that with the mouse.

Thanks for everyones input. It was most helpful.
  • MoTHA_NaTuREMoTHA_NaTuRE All over this bizzatch called FL
    edited November 2003
    i use the keyboard and mouse, just keep tap tap tapping, heh, the planes are hard for me to fly though, heli's are piece of cake
    edited November 2003
    Thats wierd you guys that say planes are harder to fly than helos, it didnt take me any practice to fly those planes. Just hopped in the first plane i saw in the game and I was an instant badazz. But those damn helos. I still cant fly them without a joystick. Helos are definately more fun to fly though :)
  • CobaltCobalt Connecticut
    edited November 2003
    Dude, I have the Logitech Force Feedback Pro.

Love it. :)

Anyways, in BF1942, I'm always the pilot [cause I'm the only one who's got a joystick] and it works great. I can adjust the level of pitch and stuff, so it's easier than the mouse.

I haven't played DC in a bit, last time was when the heli was still buggy.
  • edited November 2003
    I have a few rules to abide buy...

Air Craft - Joystick

Land Vehicles - joy pad

1st Person - mouse and keyboard

What it really comes down to is what you're really compfortable with. So, take your pick.
  • edited November 2003
    Here's a nice example of actual WWII 'copter use.