Issue with IDE + SATA harddrive

edited October 2006 in Hardware
A friend of mine recently bought himself a new harddrive, and chose an SATA drive as his motherboard only have one IDE connector, and he already has one optical drive (DVD burner) and one Harddrive connected to that IDE cable. So since the only free connectors left (And since he'd like to replace his IDE harddrive eventually) was SATA, he got himself a 500GB SATA drive. But so the issue begum. after installingh this, it shows up in BIOS, but is clearly not bootable (Logically enoguh as it is not formatted nor have anything on it...) But atleast BIOS recognizes it.

But in Windows (XP, SP2) it never shows up at all. Even if we tried to reistal lthe RAID drivers supplied with the Motherbourd, or download and install updated drivers.

So, anyone has any ideas what could be the problem here?

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2006
    carnilio wrote:
    ...it shows up in BIOS, but is clearly not bootable (Logically enough as it is not formatted nor have anything on it...) But at least BIOS recognizes it.

But in Windows (XP, SP2) it never shows up at all. Even if we tried to reinstall the RAID drivers supplied with the motherboard, or download and install updated drivers.

So, anyone has any ideas what could be the problem here?
    The drive may have to be initialized and made bootable (if you ever plan on booting the drive, which it looks like you will) using the SATA BIOS utility, which usually shows after BIOS does the memory check. There is usually a special key that must be pressed to enter the SATA BIOS just like the MOBO BIOS.

Once it is made bootable and/or initialized, boot into windows and lets hear the turnout.
  • edited October 2006
    I will try it. But agian, I do not tend to boot from it.. He just wnat the disk as added storeage.

-And thanks. I'll post you an update of all and any results once I get to try it.