Final Fantasy 8 PC

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Gaming
Has anybody played it? I'm just wondering if it looks any better for the PC. The game seems to scream out for higher resolution when I play it on the PS1.
I'm almost hoping the answer is "stay away!" because I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere...

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Its not for sale anywhere, there were like 10 copies made worldwide, it's silly.

It's nice with AA and AS but make sure you have a gamepad as its no fun with a keyboard.

It also has major issues with nVidia cards.

NS
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I played and almost beat FF8 on the playstation almost 2 years ago. I have a bad habit of getting to the end of an RPG and getting distracted with something else :). I was thinking about starting it all over again on PC instead of finishing the PS1 version.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I know what you mean, I got to the last dungeon of FF7, and never played it again. Dunno why.
    edited October 2003
    For the last couple of days I've been trying to figure out what BT is an acronym for and it's been driving me nuts! Is it a store we don't have in the midwest or something?

I checked Gamestop.com and they don't have it :(
    edited October 2003
    BT = Bit Torrent

Torrent is basically a P2P program, but it works on a per download basis, so you get the torrent file from somewhere, run it (after installing Bit Torrent) and it will start downloading it from anyone else who has it open or is running a dedicated server.

NS
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Come on guys, you know the rules. No discussing warez. How and where to get it and everything else about it.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    Forget FF8 for PC.

Buy the playstation game itself for very cheap, then download a PSX emulator such as ePSXe. You can either run the game off the CD's themselves or extract ISO images and use those for better performance. The hardest part is finding a PSX BIOS but just look around for it.

Then you can play all of your playstation games on your computer.
    edited October 2003
    ePSXe seems a bit useless.

It tells you to download a GUI from psxemu.com or emulatronia.com, psxemu.com no-longer exists and emulatronia is foriegn.

NS
    edited October 2003
    I own the game for PS1, but my experience with PS1 emulators hasn't been that great. Whichever one I used to use (can't remember) wouldn't start FF8. Ironically FF7 ran better on emulator than the PC version did for me :D

In case anyone is concerned, since I own both a playstation and the game on CD, it's pefectly legal for me to use an emulator
    edited October 2003
    I couldn't get any sound out of the intro to FF7 for some reason when I just tried it. The menu was fine, but during the intro FMV there was nothing.....

NS
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 had this to say

It tells you to download a GUI from psxemu.com or emulatronia.com, psxemu.com no-longer exists and emulatronia is foriegn.

NS

Sigh..can't be bothered for more than a couple of minutes to set this up huh...

well once you download that base pack from ePSXe, you download the plugins, the best of which can be found here. Then you find a PSX BIOS and you're set.

It's not useless. I've used ePSXe to play my playstation games on my computer for many months now, including all the Final Fantasy games.
    edited October 2003
    panzerkw had this to say
    NightShade737 had this to say

NS

Sigh..can't be bothered for more than a couple of minutes to set this up huh...

well once you download that base pack from ePSXe, you download the plugins, the best of which can be found here. Then you find a PSX BIOS and you're set.

It's not useless. I've used ePSXe to play my playstation games on my computer for many months now, including all the Final Fantasy games.

You should have guessed from my above post that I have already done all that and got it working....

NS
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2003
    FF8 was the final fantasy game I played the least of by far. In fact, I loved the demo and bought the game. I installed the game, and 90 minutes later I uninstalled it. For some reason the crappy visuals (on my PC at the time), coupled with a really slow beginning and slightly awkward controls threw me off of the game in record time. Yes, this was the PC version, and no, it was in no way optimized to take advantage of the PC. In fact, the game was summarily dragged through grinders in some PC magazine reviews, and the remnants were spat out to rot. It averages 75%, tho PC Gamer gave it as low as a 65%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197342.asp
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the linkage, T-Bird. I was about to get it off ebay but the reviews talked me out of it.

On the bright side, I got ePSXe (the emulator) to work really, really well! It plays all of my games (with good sound and in high resolution). :D

If anyone has had trouble with previous versions, I recommend giving the current version another chance. You'll need to come up with the playstation rom (ie, --removed--) and download the video plugin. I use Pete's OpenGL, it's excellent (although I downloaded the package that came with Direct3d as well).

[edit]Sorry, that's the illegal part of a playstation emulator - Black Hawk[/edit]

Garg's edit - It is not illegal if you own a Playstation. I own one, as do many people. Even if you have one laying around in non-working order, it's still legal to own a software backup of a Playstation BIOS.