DVD drive install gone bad

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
This is simple.
an old machine, Abit KT-7A running w2k sp4.
I uninstalled the old DVD drive and uninstalled PowerDVD.
I slapped the new drive in (LiteOn SWH160).
It is master with a Teac drive as slave.
Windows recognised it as a Liteon160 DVD drive.
I figured the basic windows driver should let me use it as a play only drive, but it doesn't. I can see what is on it, but not play any via WMP.

So I then install the included copy of PowerDVD6. It laods fine, it starts fine, it won't play either. I hit play, it says load, and then nothing.
I know that this is simple, what have I missed.
Please help, my wife is ready to kill me.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    OK, even if you have to make fun of an old guy, just give me a tip.
  • edited October 2006
    Does the drive show up in Windows Explorer?
    edited October 2006
    Yes, it does.
    I can even look and see the names of hte files on the disc. I just can't read it.
    WTF???
  • edited October 2006
    Did you try swapping out the IDE cable, or putting it on a different IDE channel?

If that doesn't work, I'd suspect the drive is defunct.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2006
    Couple of things. First, ensure that BIOS is seeing the drive correctly. Secondly, update the chipset drivers for the MOBO as good starting ground. You should check that the drive is using DMA and not PIO mode, which can cause problems when trying to read tons of data (as with DVDs). You can find that by going through the device manager>>left clicking the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>>right clicking the appropriate channel that the drive is on and select properties>>click on advanced settings and it should be set to DMA IF AVAILABLE. If it is, then I will ask if the drive is able to play music cds fo any kind? If not, under device manager>>left click DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES and then right click on your DVD drive and select properties. If you are using the supplied analog CD cable provided with most retail distributions fo the drive, the ignore the following procedure. Click the properties tab and check the option to enable digital cd audio from this device. Now try to listen to a CD using your media application. Make sure the volume is turned up and the speakers are powered on (if applicable).

You could try using a codec pack such as the VLC player or K-Lite codec pack to play dvds. Its free and can easily be uninstalled.

Check your event log under system for any abnormalities concerning the DVD drive.

As previously stated, you should be sure to try swapping cables, then also try using different types of disks. Set your jumpers correctly. Worst case, the drive is bad.
    edited October 2006
    OK, tonight I'll try IDE channels and cables. Good point. Jumpers ar fine and I have a spare drive if it comes to that.

It is DMA. I guess that I'll update chipset drivers. The last time it was a mess (KT-7A remember), but I should.

Right now I can open PowerDVD and press play. It says 'load' and the drive is accessing. Then it says 'stop' and that is all that happens.
    edited October 2006
    I works, thanks guys.
    I don't know what it was. New mobo drivers, switched cable and IDE port, reinstalled PowerDVD without the other CD drive in.
    And when I put it all back like it was it still worked.