New PC coming up, need some help though

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hey there

Now I need some help again, I have been absent from these forums for a long time. But I have been very busy working and in fact I am still very busy.:eek2:

But without further ado I will move on.
My, more or less, trusty old rig needs replacing, it is unstable and can't boot properly half the time.

Here is what I have in mind for the new "monster"

Processor: Athlon64 3800+ socket AM2 (that is the socket to go for, right?)
Motherboard: I haven't decided yet, but maybe an nForce based Abit. I do love Abit boards, but I just don't know.
Memory: 2 Gigs of Corsair XMS, don't know what speed or model though
Soundcard: Something supporting Dolby Digital (at least) and with toslink (optical) out, I know I am gonna miss my nVidia Soundstorm.
GFX ATI vs. nVidia I haven't decided yet, please help me out here?
I am looking at 7900GTX or X1950 XTX, I need something fast this time. :grumble:
Case: I have considered Cheiftec, Aopen and Antec but haven't decided anything yet.
It shouldn't be a fulltower though, those things are bulky and heavy.

As you can see, I am in need of some help. :type:

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Well, I hate to say it, but if you really want fast you need to go with Intel Core2.

What is your timetable and budget?
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Well, I hate to say it, but if you really want fast you need to go with Intel Core2.

What is your timetable and budget?

Intel? Uhh I'm not a big fan of Intel :-/;)

Timetable, soon as my current pc is acting up.
    I don't want to install XP twice within a matter of weeks, just because of an upgrade.

Budget, roughly $1600 I guess but do note that hardware is slightly more expensive in Denmark compared to the US.
    And I only needs the items on the list, I have the rest already.
    Forgot a Powersupply though, how hungry will this beast be?

Btw: Any new A64 boards with IDE133 ports?
    I have some relatively new drives I still want to use.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    What's a decent Intel platform these days? I was unimpressed with anything after the i875 but I think that had more to do with Netburst's dying gasps than anything else.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    The joy of AM2 is that AMD will have a nice true quad core you will be able to upgrade into later down the road, but the same is true with most mobo’s for Intel's quad cores.

As for Ram, Corsair XMS2 DDR800 is going to be the best bet out of the Corsair line. i got a few stick of this for my Intel and they are sweet. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145588

If you plan on OC’ing DFI makes the best if your planning on best upgradeability and stability ASUS is the best IMO.

Graphics are a mix, the 7950GX2 is by far the fastest card on the market currently. The x1950 is a fast card and has a cheaper price tag. I personally would go with Nvidia, but they both make good cards :)
  • edited October 2006
    The joy of AM2 is that AMD will have a nice true quad core you will be able to upgrade into later down the road
    I'll believe that when I see it. AMD will find some excuse to add a couple more pins so you have to buy a new motherboard too, especially now they're selling chipsets.
    QFT, not that I hate or even mind saying it however.

Never owned an Intel system but my next rig will be core2.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    I personally would go with Nvidia, but they both make good cards :)

yeah...i like NVIdia too...:)