How to separate my hard disk to different drives?

edited October 2006 in Hardware
well, basically i just got my laptop today. and i really don't want to crash it on the first day. i want to install games and all sort of "junks" into my laptop but want to do it on different drive (not c: drive). how do i do it?
thx

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2006
    ahh you want to partition your drive into 2 sections? one for windows and one for games? do you have a nother logical partition other than C:\?

the first thing you need to do is see if the C:\ is logicly taking up all of the space the hard drive has to offer. to do this:

right click on my computer and choose manage
    on the left select disk managment, this shows all of the hard drives, cd drives, and USB storage devices and tells you how the drives are devided logicly.

the colors of the bars also have diffrent meanings, BLue is your standard logical partition, gold is a Dynamic disk, black is free space. ( DO NOT convert your C:\ to a dynamic disk, in fact dont convert any of them to dynamic disks. )

if you have any free space on your hard drive it shows up in the same bar as your C:\, as "unallocated space" then all you have to do is right click and say create new partition, choose NTFS a the file ssytem and do a QUICK FORMAT!.

if you have no free space, you can use a few programs to disect the free space from the C:\ to create a new partition. Partiton magic is a favorite, but some people on the forums know a few free versions.