Weasel Stomping Day

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Here's my computer specs... I'm looking to upgrade the RAM (or whatever will give my computer a boost for some gaming...it blows right now). What would you suggest?

1 2U193 PROCESSOR, 80532, 1.8G, 512K, 400FSB, SOCKET N
1 7K585 PRINTED WIRING ASSY, PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), 4500S, 845G, NO NETWORK INTERFACE CARD, AUDIO/VIDEO
1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 735HE MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 2BTN, WHEEL, 1.3A, MICROSOFT, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 4K107 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 266M, 16X64, 8K, 184
1 1P930 KIT, COMPACT DISKETTE, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, ROXIO, V5.2
1 6T941 COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, 680M, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 24, LITEON, REV2, CHASSIS 2001
1 1K636 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, PATRON, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA, NORTH AMERICA
1 4N567 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, HK206, NMB, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 7G076 DISPLAY, CATHODE-RAY TUBE, 15, DUAL, E551C, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 2D067 FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 3MD, NO BEZEL, SONY, CHASSIS 2001, W3
1 5P976 HARD DRIVE, 20G, I, HALF HEIGHT, 5.4K, 40G/P, MAXTOR ATHENA
1 6K223 KIT, SOFTWARE, WKS-STE2K2, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 3R352 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WINDOWS XP HOME, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, A02

...or is it just not worth upgrading at all? I'm guessing a RAM upgrade will give me the most bang for my buck. But then again, I don't know a ton...

Comments

• maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    i thought this thread had something to do with weasles...silly me:)
  • edited October 2006
    It looks to me like that is a pretty old machine. But the stuff you posted really doesn't clue us in on the brand computer or motherboard model or chipset it's using. A 1.8/400 fsb P4 is pretty old and slow by today's standards, but the 128 MB ram is the biggest problem, trying to run Windows XP on that system.

To be honest with you, you would really need to do mass upgrading on that old box to get it to game today's game titles well and would cost more than it's worth. After all, that computer looks to be at least 3 year old technology and that is generations old in the PC world.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'm going to have to bite as well, what does this have to do with Weasels? This is the second topic you've made with something completely random for the title.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    It looks to me like that is a pretty old machine. But the stuff you posted really doesn't clue us in on the brand computer or motherboard model or chipset it's using.
    It's a Dell. Motherboard uses a 845G chipset.

You could probably install a faster cpu and some more memory.
  • Instrument-MechanicInstrument-Mechanic SF Bay Area
    edited October 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I'm going to have to bite as well, what does this have to do with Weasels? This is the second topic you've made with something completely random for the title.

Oh Oh I know!

The Weird Al song in a Robot Chicken episode... Just the other week I think..?

Right?
  • edited October 2006
    Its a Dell computer. My family bought it eh...4 years ago at least. So its dying... I'd just buy a better computer, except I might as well save my money for a better laptop for college. So in the remaining year, I just wondered if knocking the RAM up to a gig would help things much (its not much more than $100 i think). Right now I've got 256 DDR in it, I upgraded the RAM a few years ago. It doesn't have to be amazing speed, just enough to run a few games smoothly.

As far as topics go, who really wants to read a topic labeled "COMPUTER SPECS"? Stomping weasels sounds a hell of a lot more enjoyable...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    As far as topics go, who really wants to read a topic labeled "COMPUTER SPECS"? Stomping weasels sounds a hell of a lot more enjoyable...

Because topics are supposed to be representitive of the content of the thread.
  • edited October 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Because topics are supposed to be representitive of the content of the thread.

Then consider Weasel Stomping as a metaphor of my RAM stomping on my processor. Be creative.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    How many posts are there in the 'delete me' thread? and you guys are complaining.

IKOD, your box is history. Save up for a nice notebook with discrete graphics. If you need it for school next fall, then start looking seriously in the late spring/early summer. A hot notebook is $2k.
  • edited October 2006
    TheIcyKissOfDeath must be a fan of Weird Al, since this is the name of a song on his latest album.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    lol
  • edited October 2006
    I don't think I'd say I'm a fan... those words simply popped into my mind. Probably because some kid wouldn't stop singing that song.