Getting new drives

Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
edited October 2006 in Hardware
My HDD is starting to die, right now I only have 1 80gig on this system. I am getting 2 200GB HDDs. My current setup has the 1 drive partitioned to two sections. If I do a fresh install of windows on my new HDDs and partition it how I want, will I be able to boot off the fresh drives and still connect my old drive so I can read the data on there to copy the stuff over there using norton ghost or somethign similar?

I need to do a reinstall anyway as its been about a year, I just want to make sure I'll still be able to read my old drive even though it has its own boot sector and is partitioned.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    You could install the OS without the old drive installed/enabled and then add it. Windows will just see it as any other drive. AFAIK, it reads the boot.ini off the main drive.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited October 2006
    Black Hawk wrote:
    You could install the OS without the old drive installed/enabled and then add it. Windows will just see it as any other drive. AFAIK, it reads the boot.ini off the main drive.

Excellent I figured I would just have to make sure I reset my jumpers to slave on my current drive. Should I just format the current windows partition when I reconnect it? Or will that screw things up?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If you want to use the space before your hdd goes kaput, sure.

Also, I may be wrong, but I do believe Norton Ghost copies the whole partition (partition size and everything). It's been awhile since I've used Ghost so I don't really remember if you simply copy the files. I'd just copy over the stuff you want from within windows (profiles, etc) and just format the drive.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the help Black_Hawk, my new drives came yesterday. I installed them, created the partitions, and used Acronis True Image to copy my 80GB to on of the 250s. I decided to be slack and just set my drives up as JBOD instead of RAIDing. Everything went smooth as silk.

Thanks for the input.