unable to open/explore/search folders/drives in XP

edited December 2008 in Hardware
Hi ,

I am not being able to open/explore/search any of the folders or drives on my xp.

whenever I right click on "My Computer" or any folder and opt for open/explore/search the screen blacks out for a while but nothing happens.

I found the registry was OK(i would post the registry info if needed).

WIN+E or WIN+F also fail to perform the action.

However, the folders/drives are accessible via the command prompt.

Any solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Dear Sir,

I am suddenly encountering the problem of inability to open/explore my partitions with my Quad-core Intel CPU based PC....after installing Avast(?)

I am able to open them under Word or other programs, but not directly.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Soham
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Did you get any error messages when installing AVAST and does everything else seem to be working?

I'd start trouble shooting it by going into start, run typing in services.msc then look for the indexing service stop it, disable it and reboot.
  • edited December 2008
    Sorry ! Setting 'Startup type' as 'disabled' or even 'automatic' has not helped.

I also hear it said that it is due to Worm.Win32.Agent.mf infecting the file named Autorun.inf.. Any ideas?

While Avast did the scanning it did not give any error msgs, but of course listed the various worms & viruses & advised me the best course of action against them.

Wondering whether Avast is the culprit in its 'overenthusiasm', I have now removed it (I had to, if I wanted AVG free 8.0 installed)& now have AVG 8.0 on the system, to no avail. Net result is the background color of my screen has gone black, & am not able to change it to other colors for any decent length of time! Any ideas on that?
    Soham
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    I'd say your virus theory is looking pretty sound.