Got my dv9000t - what are the best benchmarks to run/put it to the test...

edited October 2006 in Hardware
hello all -
I decided to start a new thread on this since the other one has kind of been all about the 256/512 card issue. At any rate, I got my 9000t yesterday (I'll be doing a full on review shortly) and so far I love it.

I was pretty impressed that it actually didn't ship with a ton of junk in the system tray - I only had to turn off 2 items (I probably could turn off more, but haven't had a chance to fully research them).

I uninstalled norton and put on AVG free, i prefer it. I also installed 3dmark 05 (getting a 3915 with the HP installed drivers) and 3dMark 06 (getting a 1957 with HP installed drivers).

So, now its time to tweak it and benchmark - was wondering if you all have some suggestions on (preferably free) benchmark tests. I'm most curious to see how this Core 2 duo performs. I have tried to install SiSoft Sandra lite 2 times, but after it completes installation the application will not open. I click the icon, wait for it and nothing....any thoughts there?

I think thats it for right now - I'll start working on a proper review soon, but in the meantime would love any input you guys have on testing out my new toy.

Thanks!

Comments

• maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    that's cool... perhaps you could take some pictures of it and put it up??? that would be great!!!:thumbsup: as far as how you could test the Core 2 Duo, i am not sure, perhaps maybe by running multiple programs and seeing if you computer is able to still run them smoothly despite the multitasking since Duo processors are great for multitasking!:) yeah pics would be awesome!~
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    im sure the gurus on SM will be able to tell you better ways for testing your Core 2 Duo processor...:thumbsup:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    The problem with the HP laptops is you can't OC them. Or I should say i haven't found away to push my CPU in the laptop. The GPU can easily be pushed a bit further.

For basic scores to see how your system is running, SuperPi is a good CPU benchmark, along with the 3DMark series of graphic tests. I also like to use the coolbits hack on my GPU and push it to its max... I am not quite sure what your looking for but the only real tweaking to be done is on the GPU.
  • edited October 2006
    I guess specifically what I am looking for is just a way to "compare" my system to others out there. For example, my 3dMark 05 score was a little bit less then the score PC Mag had in their review of the 9000t (theres was a 3975 or something). I just want to make sure its performing as it should - does that make sense?

Also, what programs are you guys using to check your CPU temperatures? I'm curious how hot mine is.

Also - any thoughts on that SiSoft problem? The only thing I did was chose the "disable client server function" since I'm running it on a stand-alone box.

I'll get some pics up once I get access to my camera (my wife has it right now and is out of town) :)
  • edited October 2006
    Have a suggestion for all:

How about posting the systems specs in the BODY of a post when you're talking about benchmarks. (Also it would also be nice to know the production date , and maybe bios version for various reasons...)

I say to post the system spec's in the body, instead of relying on a "sig" or pic's because search engines don't see stuff like that... and "pic's" 6 months from now are for sure in most cases to be a dead link.

PS: On "sigs"... I don't know how this board does it, but on other boards I've been on when you "change" your sig it changes your "sig" in ALL your posts.... which really degrades the post/thread as all the suggestions aren't "tied" to the model being talked about which:
    A: Screws up someone looking for info,
    and
    B: Is a slap in the face to people that took time out of their busy day to post those suggestions...

Posting the info within the BODY ties all the suggestions to a "fix" to the model being discussed.
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited October 2006
    Id very much like to see benchmarks on the DV9000t as I had to return mine (no luck with HP this year, two faulty DV8000s and now a 9000)
    I ordered a Dell M65 instead and would love to see a non-commercial comparison.
  • edited October 2006
    VoltronAD,

I had the SAME problem with SiSoft, click on the icon and it does nothing.... Or course in my case I was running it on a HP Compaq nx6325 (RB526UT#ABA) that is running the ATI Radeon Express 1150 ...(about 33% fast than a X200m)

If I was you I'd run programs like Prime95 (old), SuperPi, and the various 3D benchmarking programs to "burn-in" the machine.

PS: You can download Notebook Hardware Control to check your temps here: (free version)

http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm
  • edited October 2006
    Werenotalone - did you ever figure out how to get Sisoft to run? Kinda bothers me that I cannot figure it out.
  • edited October 2006
    VoltronAD wrote:
    Werenotalone - did you ever figure out how to get Sisoft to run? Kinda bothers me that I cannot figure it out.

No- I just deleted it since I'm not interested in benchmarks, more interested in "burning-in" the system to check for hardware problems before I cut the upc off the box to send in for the rebate.

BTW: the HP Compaq nx6325 (RB526UT#ABA) for $500 after a $100 mail in rebate is perfect for someone who is looking to use their laptop as a laptop. Normal price on the system being $975.

RB526UT#ABA Compaq nx6325 Notebook AMD Mobile Sempron 3400+ 1.8GHz -
    15 inch screen

Magnesium alloy frames and display enclosures
    HP Spill-resistant keyboard
    HP Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
    TPM 1.2 Embedded Security Chip
    512 MB (667 MHz) DDR2 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
    Note: Max RAM maximum 4GB
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 (33% faster than a Xpress 200m), not good for "games"... but you get:

4-hours of battery life, up to 16 hours with the high cap battery.
    http://www.notebookforums.com/thread176205.html