Need help with replacing HDD and DVD Drive on laptop

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Found it in my quest for answers regarding my Toshiba laptop. It's been giving me somes hassles of late. For some help in my questions, here are the specs, according to the Toshiba Website:

Toshiba Satellite 1900 (PS192C-00UWN)
2.4 GHz P4
512 MB DDR (256+256 with 768 max)
40 GB HDD
DVD/CD-RW only

Overall, I'm more than happy with it, aside from some of the issues. Question was, in looking for a larger, replacement HDD (say 100 GB or so) and looking for a DVD burner as well (I'll also be maxing out the RAM to 768 MB), do I need to buy model-specific parts? I know when I buy HDD for my desktop, any brand will fit and work, but does the same hold true for laptops? Say, can I just go out and buy any 2.5" HDD and have it fit? Does the same hold true for the DVD drive? I've heard that the only issue with the burner "may" be that the face of it won't match the existing laptop case, but that isn't a concern for me.

Thanks for all your help, and I hope to be a regular here :)

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    You will not need a model-specific part for the hard drive. For the DVD burner, chances are you will not need a model-specific one, but it will be hard to find and a little expensive, as well as a bit less easy to work on. Here is a guide to the common notebook upgrades, the HDD and RAM:
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=329
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks for your help. Good to know that I should be able to change it without concern, and I'll be sure to check that link you provided as soon as I'm done here. I found a few burners that were pretty cheap, an LG one for instance for like $60 or something? Seems good to me :) And the HDD was a WD 100 GB for about $130? All in all, another $200 or so and this machine should be right up there. Thanks again, and any additional input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Steve