SM34 problems

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited October 2006 in Folding@Home
Hi guys. Just to let everyone know I've been having some real problems with SM34, it hasn't submitted a work unit in 3 months :o... most of that is admittedly my fault as it keeps going into a 'lights on but nobody home' state where everything looks fine but it's not actually folding and I can't access it remotely. I haven't had enough time to sit down and work out what the problem is.... but I think I've sussed it now. SM34 will be back up and folding tonight.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It's probably what was happening with some of the others. You may have it set to large WUs and stanford is not giving it any work.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2006
    I'm getting this:

[15:24:21] + Attempting to get work packet
    [15:24:21] - Connecting to assignment server
    [15:24:22] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.133).
    [15:24:22] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [15:24:22] Loaded queue successfully.
    [15:24:23] + Could not connect to Work Server
    [15:24:23] - Error: Attempt #5 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
    Waiting before retry.

is that due to large work units?

edit: turned large work units off, same result.

edit2: Google turned up a post saying it might be something to do with deadlinless units. I now have that option turned off... same result :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Trash your client.cfg and try running it with all defaults.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2006
    I deleted the folder, removed the service and did a clean install. Seems to be fine now. No idea why it was insisting on trying to connect to a work server with no work units...
  • edited October 2006
    I think you nailed the main problem in the other thread, deicist. If you had that machine configured for timeless work then it just wasn't getting assignments since Stanford has no active timeless work now.

But I did notice the other day with my farm that the Stanford assignment server also seems to be at least partly messed up too. I was trying to get some work from server 162 on one my farm machines (to give it something healthy to chew on, so to speak) right before I had to come back out to work by starting up the client with a shortcut with only the -verbosity 9 flag set and the assignment server kept directing my client to server 133, which was a timeless server that has no active projects being sent out on it. Someone at Stanford must have something configured wrong on the assignment server I think, for this to be happening. It didn't happen often, but it did happen.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2006
    Kudos for getting on top of the problem. Good to hear everything is fine with SM34 now.