450W PSU voltage output

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hi Guys.. newbie here. I need your assistance regarding an issue I have with my PSU.

Lately each time i boot my PC i hear clicking sounds on the hard disk, no matter what hard disk I put it produces the same output. It crashes windows everytime I boot.

So I measured the +12v & 5v+ rails with a voltmeter (assuming that when you refer to 'rails' that would be the power (red, black black yellow) supply for the hard drive.

12V+ has around 10.5V average
5V+ has around 4.3V average

Are these values normal or should I go and have my PSU RMA'd? I'm using a Task 450W PSU btw.

I'm running:

P4 2.8Ghz on a ECS Mobo 478
1Gb DDR2 400
Radeon 9800PRO
80Gb IDE HDD
120 Gb SATA HDD
CDR-Combo

Any ideas? Thanks! :D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Frankly: That is HORRIBLE. You need to turn your computer off and send that PSU back immediately before components get damaged due to undervolting.
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks. What values should I expect for the replacement PSU? Greater than 12V and 5V DC? I honestly thought those values (10.x VDC and 4.xVDC) were normal. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Expect 11.90 - 12.2v, and 4.9-5.2v.
  • edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Frankly: That is HORRIBLE. You need to turn your computer off and send that PSU back immediately before components get damaged due to undervolting.

I second that... turn it off right away! and pull the plug OUT of the WALL asap!!!

12V+ has around 10.5V average
    5V+ has around 4.3V average

is out of spec...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    That is not your real voltage lines. A mainboard won't even boot up at those values. Replace the battery in the DMM and measure again. They might still be low, but not that low.