help me retrieve my files on my hard disk

edited October 2006 in Hardware
man.. i'm going crazy now. my hard disk was not detected. i already tried making it as a slave reseted but it didn't detect any. my problem is the files that are in it! :bawling: my friend suggested that i put the hard disk in the freezer for a couple of minutes and try again. i don't know what to do, please help!

deither

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Put in on another channel (cable) making it the master.
  • edited October 2006
    ok, i'll try it. i'll update you if it will work
  • edited October 2006
    BTW, you need to post more info...

Like was the hard drive working before?
    Have you "upgraded", /installed a new drive?

PS: I wouldn't put the hd in the freezer.
  • edited October 2006
    well, the hard disk came from my cousin, he gave it to me. it was working wen we used it. after a week, we tried installing google earth.. after that, the next day when i turned on my PC, it was running very slow. when i tried exploring the HD, i can't see the files. it was reading very slow. so we took the HD out and placed it again. still it was running very slow. at first, it can detect the HD from bios. but at the start-up it can't be detected.
  • edited October 2006
    You need to put in on another channel (cable) making it the master.

Disconnect ALL other drives in system (other hard drives, dvd/cd drives, etc)

Try another cable
    Check for damaged pins
    Check to be sure cable is plugged in all the way
    Check to see if it's Master /slave, OR cable select
    TRY ANOTHER HARD DRIVE.

If the other drive works, you have a bad hard drive.
    If it's doesn't, you have a bad motherboard.

You might also try another POWER SUPPLY....

Google something called Hiren's BootCD (current ver 8.4),. It has allot of "testing" tools on it that "might" help.... but if the BIOS isn't seeing the drive... NO app is going to help you. If the drive IS sen by the BIOS and can be seen using disc editing toools (noted below) then the OS has crapped out...

(PS: If the tools on Hiren's BootCD 8.4 help you, purchase the software used to support the authors.)

One last thing... when I asked for more info I was hoping to get the model number of the computer, hard drive you're having problems with, the "age" of these items.... As some items have a hsitory of going bad. I was also tried to fiqure out if the computer was "stable" before this drive was installed...
  • edited October 2006
    deither99 wrote:
    last post 10-14-2006, 10:56 AM

Today's day 10-22-2006....

Any progress?
  • edited October 2006
    sorry guys for the delay i was on vacation.. i wasn't able to recover the data. i gave it back to my cousin. i think he formatted it.. i already forgot about this when i had my vacation!:celebrate
  • edited October 2006
    deither99 wrote:
    sorry guys for the delay i was on vacation.. i wasn't able to recover the data. i gave it back to my cousin. i think he formatted it.. i already forgot about this when i had my vacation!:celebrate

Your cousin may want to "retire" that hard drive.

That being said, I lost the data on a drive twice due to the controller card being used... so the problem may be in your system...

Hard drive in that case was detected by the bios (at least after the "loss"... all data being turned into the RAW format from NTFS
    :-/