X1900 XTX or a 7900GTX

Krypto44Krypto44 westport
edited October 2006 in Hardware
I'm think about building a pc, and was debating on which of the two to get, any suggestions?

Also, do you think i should get an SLI mobo when buying these cards? I probably wont need to buy another to go into SLI but should i keep the option open?
The mobo and CPU im looking at now is an Athlon 64 4200+ x2 and an asus M2N4 SLI

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It would depend on how much you want to spend. I would recommend the x1900 xtx because it does benchmark better than the 7900GTX, but it all depends on what your willing to pay. You could probably go down a notch (7900GT or x1900 xt) and then OC those to make up the performance difference and then you save some money.

As far as performance goes the x1900xtx has the edge on high-end graphics i.e. HDR lighting and AA at high multipliers. The 7900GTX however does a better job of just spitting out frames at lower settings. So if your getting a nice 20' monitor and plan to work at 1600x1200 then I would recommend the x1900xtx. If you plan on playing at lower settings then the 7900GTX is the best bang for your buck.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Krypto44 I'm not sure how I didn't see this post :(

As of right now I would say wait... If you need a graphic card now buy a cheap one to get you by... DX10 hardware is coming mid November and it will be well worth the wait performance wise. and for me I would buy the SLI board just incase :) you never know when your interest will change :)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Krypto44 I'm not sure how I didn't see this post :(

As of right now I would say wait... If you need a graphic card now buy a cheap one to get you by... DX10 hardware is coming mid November and it will be well worth the wait performance wise. and for me I would buy the SLI board just incase :) you never know when your interest will change :)

yeah I'd agree with that. Remember time is always on your side.