Mic not working properly.

edited October 2006 in Hardware
I think I've tried just about everything, but my mic has decided to stop working. I have uninstalled my sound card driver, and DirectX, and reinstalled them both. I've tried 3 different mics, and checked every mic for shorts. I've made sure that none of mute buttons have been selected. I am about to reseat my soundcard and try again. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    I would also like to mention that I scanned for viruses and spyware. I received the usual tracking cookies from my spyware scanner, and had one virus in a folder on my hard drive called, System Volume ___ or something. I deleted the virus and the mic still did not work after I reinstalled drivers and checked everything again.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Erm, you can't uninstall DirectX due to it being an integral part of Windows. What OS are you using and what sound card is this?
  • edited October 2006
    Didn't mean to say I uninstalled directx, sorry about that. I'm running Windows XP Pro (32 bit) and an X-fi extreme music soundcard. I just noticed something as well...whenever I restart my computer, the "line-in" on my volume control console is always muted, but I don't know why. It didn't start doing this until a a couple of days ago.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2006
    Mal51 wrote:
    Didn't mean to say I uninstalled directx, sorry about that. I'm running Windows XP Pro (32 bit) and an X-fi extreme music soundcard. I just noticed something as well...whenever I restart my computer, the "line-in" on my volume control console is always muted, but I don't know why. It didn't start doing this until a a couple of days ago.
    Driver updates recently? If so, then rollback and contact Creative support to see if this is an ongoing problem.

Software updates? Then system restore to a previous point where the line-in was fine.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, hopefully the problem will be resolved shortly as I am getting Windows XP x64 sometime this week and I will be DBAN'ing my hard-drive.