Card getting a bit warmer...How do I underclock?

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited October 2006 in Hardware
I got this BFG Overclocked Geforce 7800 GS, at first when I bought it, it was working fine with its tempeture at

40 Degress and goes up to 41 or 42 which is cool

But now my card after 2 weeks has gone up to 50-54 degrees,
my card came overclocked so I dont know if thats ****ing up the card...

The fan is working fine, blowed compressed air, fan runs smooth still everything is looking fine.

I dont know how the card went from 40 degrees to 54? something is wrong.

I did not update drivers yet and the settings I lowered them to nothing yet it still heating more than usual.

I need help with this what should I do?

Specs
1GB ram, Ghz 2.66 intel pentium 4

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    So, have you turned up the heat in your house? It's getting colder in the states these days.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited October 2006
    ughh
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Sounds like the card is breaking in... Nvidia cards like the 7800 have a nice 115C threshold... so 60C or below is nothing to worry about. Yeah it might be hotter than it normally was, but I don't see anything alarming :)
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited October 2006
    oh... so I guess im good? lol

What do you mean by breaking in?

Do you think I should install new drivers? im not really get the frames per second i think I should get.
  • edited October 2006
    He means that if your card is new, it's just like a new car. It acts a little funky at first, but it soon starts to act as normal as it should.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2006
    Mal51 wrote:
    He means that if your card is new, it's just like a new car. It acts a little funky at first, but it soon starts to act as normal as it should.
    I don't understand that, there's no mechanical parts to wear in (apart from a fan). Other than collecting a little dust what changes?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It's empirical, but generally proven as a fact that hardware components really DO have a "Burn in" time where required voltages, temperatures or overclockability can increase/decrease over a small period of time (A week or two) to their final, life-long state.
  • edited October 2006
    And if you are concerned about the temps, you can always pull the card out of the computer and then remove the hsf off the gpu and memory and replace the stock TIM with a premium substance such as Arctic Silver Ceramique. If you decide to use AS 5, then you need to be very careful you don't slop it on any components on the board because it can be capacitive.
  • The-CoolestThe-Coolest Tel Aviv, Israel Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Video cards have a much higher threshold than CPUs for example, as said above.
    80C for high-end video cards is not uncommon and they function very well. Anything up to 70C full load should not even worry you.