I need some tips for building my pc =)

Krypto44Krypto44 westport
edited October 2006 in Hardware
This is my first pc i have tried to build, and so far this is what i have
AMD Athlon 64 4200+ X2
ASUS M2N4 SLI

Windows Xp home SP2

I still need quite a bit, and im pretty sure i want 2x 1gb sticks of RAM... but theres so many i dont know which to get! :banghead:

Here are some of my ideas-

for a vid card, i was thinking about GeForce NVIDIA 7900 GT KO
RAM -- this one, this, or this one
There all in the $200-230 price range which is about all i want to spend on ram.
For hard drive all i know is i would like around 120gb or 160gb. I dont know much about RAID or SATA or anything so its difficult to pick.

For a cd drive, pretty much anything that can play cd's and is resonably inexpensive is fine with me. playing dvd's on my pc isnt a major issue since we bough a new flat screen tv :thumbsup:

for a case... i dont know much about if everything will fit in every kind of case, but im just looking for a pretty sleek one, nothing to fancy with lights in 20 places.

Any help is much appreciated
Thanks,
Stefan

Comments

• Krypto44Krypto44 westport
    edited October 2006
    Not sure but this seems like a really good price Hard drive
  • edited October 2006
    The first ram choice would not work as it is only DDR. Your chip will have to be AM2 Socket to support the motherboard and the ram. Not to sway your loyalties, and I am an AMD fanboy as well, but I would suggest this processor. It's an Intel chip, about the same speed as your AMD 4200, but if you could overclock it, you can get faster overclock speeds than AMD's flagship chip at the moment, the FX-62. This Intel chip consumes less power and gives off less heat.

Intel is also coming out with it's line of quad-core chips in the coming months, so you could also future proof yourself (although no-one will need quad-core for quite awhile.)

Whatever your brand of processor you chose, I suggest the Crucial memory in your options. Remember that if you chose the intel, you will also need to find another motherboard.

This hard-drive works perfectly for your uses.

I would suggest this video card as it only costs a little more, and has twice the ram.

As far as cases go, I suggest this one because there is nothing fancy about it. It's just a sleek mid-tower with excellent cooling.
    edited October 2006
    I have to stick with the mobo and CPU i have, because ive already bought those pieces =P

Also, the crucial memory is a weekend sale, so i'll only be able to get the $20 off today... should i get it?
    edited October 2006
    that case is nice, but im not to keen on having a front panel... i kinda like this its pretty basic
    also that card can come bundled with a PSU from here

Which do you think would be the best
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2006
    be extremly carefull handling DDR2 memory, its way more sesitive to ESD than standard DDR or SDRAM.

the first thin to go once you get into windows and install all of the system drivers, is to update the bios. the newer ASUS AM2 boards have some pretty nasty bugs in original BIOS releases, im sure they have tweaked most out by now, but better safe than sorry.

as for hard drives, you can get a really nice Seagate or WD 250-300 for about $100, most people go dor the Seagates for the 5 year warrenty.

you can get a DVD burner for like $32 from newegg a cd drive is like $24 so i mean...

the intel quad core CPUs are basicly going to be 2 C2D glues together, thats the same mistake they pulled with the originial dual core CPUs' they came out with, to interact between cores they had to go outside the core to the FSB or BSB which is why the AMD dual cores mopped the floor with the originals

the core2duo is another story... those are the real deals low price high output and low wattage.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I would definitely go with only a Seagate Barracuda hard drive, they are the only hard drive maker still offering a 5 year warranty as far as I know, plus I've been using Seagate drives since 2001 and haven't had one fail on me yet.

Armo - what the hell is that crazy movie playing in your sig line? I've been meaning to ask that for a while now.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    I can't see the PSU you linked to ('egg servers are having issues) I personally like the Coolermaster Centurion case you linked to. I have the blue one, and it has a 120mm exhaust fan, seems to work ok keeping a Pentium D cool. The Led's for the power, HD activity are bright.

Don't skimp on the PSU, I'm not up to snuff on the bang for the buck quality units, but I'm sure somebody will chime in.
  • lewicronlewicron Glasgow
    edited October 2006
    Tim wrote:
    Armo - what the hell is that crazy movie playing in your sig line? I've been meaning to ask that for a while now.

Music video for "Come to Daddy" by aphex twin.