Monitor goes blank for a second then snaps back to normal

rclrcl
edited October 2006 in Hardware
My Sony FW900 has some strange behavior. If I look closely at the edges of the picture its flickering and moving slightly left to right. Also the entire picture dissapears for a second and then comes back with a snapping sound. The sound it makes is like when you turn it on or after a degauss. The picture disappearing happens rarely, only twice so far, but I'm worried about whats causing it.

I'm sure somethings not right, does anyone know what part might be going bad inside my monitor?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Failing electron gun or a bad flyback capacitor. Translation: Something important and expensive.
  • rclrcl
    edited October 2006
    Damn, that doesn't sound good. I know the electron gun must be major. Is the capacitor very hard to replace? I definitely don't know how to do it myself but maybe there is repair shop who knows what they are doing.

For now the picture is pretty clear but there is a bit of discoloration at the sides, I think this monitor will fail soon but I was hoping there was a replacement part to try and fix it.
  • edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Failing electron gun or a bad flyback capacitor. Translation: Something important and expensive.

You mean flyback transformer.

By the time you find the correct one for your monitor and get the thing to your door, it'll be far too much work and far too expensive to warrant repairing your monitor. Not to mention you'll need to know how to solder well, and the flyback transformer and the really large capacitors it's directly connected directly to can and will kill you if you don't know what your doing and have the right tools to discharge it. If a spark from one of these hits you and crosses through your heart, you'll be able to serve it as a sausage patty at McDonalds.

If the guns have failed or are failing (which is what the problem sounds like), your monitor is garbage. Replacing the guns means replacing the CRT itself, and unless you know people or happen to have the correct make, model and size already laying around, a new one will cost you many times what the monitor itself cost back when it was brand spankin' new.

If the large coil around the yoke of the CRT is arcing (which would be my second guess), your monitor is similarly f**ked. Even if you could get a new coil of the same model, you'll need to align it correctly for it to be of any use, which you cannot do without the proper tools. Again, the cost of the coil alone would far exceed the price of the monitor new.

Bottom line is; don’t even open the case of that thing if you even have to ask about what these components do or what they're called without someone standing right there with you walking you through it. You can shop around for the cost of getting it repaired at a shop, but at ~$80 an hour labor charge alone, you'd be far better off looking at the Sunday ads in the paper for a replacement.

You know, LCD technology has really come along these past couple of years... ;)