ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
Here.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    And I was worried:hrm:
  • edited October 2006
    I saw that this morning, Thrax. I figured that something like this would have to be done in order for M$ to entice the use of DX10 in developing future games by the game developers. Otherwise, I think you would have seen more widespread use of OpenGL as the API for future games or at least the continued use of DX9.0c.

M$ doesn't have a big enough installed user base of DX10 compliant video cards (like none yet) or DX10 compliant OS'es (none yet) for the game developers to just develop with DX10 use alone.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    It was a matter of time until the DX10+Vista duopoly crumbled. It wasn't even remotely profitable.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    The problem is I heard some of the current cards won't support 9.0L ... not sure if this is true? But only time will tell... I am looking into this a bit further.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Man, I was hoping they'd stick to it so OpenGL would make a comeback. That'd be better for cross-platform development.
  • edited October 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Man, I was hoping they'd stick to it so OpenGL would make a comeback. That'd be better for cross-platform development.

I think that's what scared the hell of the asshats at M$. ;D;D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    From what I hear OpenGL is going to be gone soon :( anyone up for Project Fahrenheit.... The days when Direct3D and OpenGL were going to be one :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    What do Macs use for 3d? Software renders, OpenGL?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    From what I hear OpenGL is going to be gone soon :(

You are kidding right? It's what Linux and Macs use entirely for 3D and with it being OSS, it's not going "to be gone" until everyone in the communities decides it isn't needed anymore by which point there will be something better anyway.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, I just read another article at The Inquirer saying that this info they had posted a few days ago is wrong. DX 9.0L is actually for running the DX9.0 API on Vista. :(

So I guess the game companies will still need OpenGL anyways if they don't want to alienate everyone that soesn't want to buy that bloatware, DRM infested, ****ed up EULA containing abortion called Vista.