PSU question

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Okay, well first off before i get into it, i know im a bit understocked in the PSU power department... im using a 350w PSU to run an AMD 3800+ with 1GB Kingston Hyper X DDR ram. Using a BFG GeForce 7300 GT OC, all on a MSI Neo4 Platinum Mobo. The ram is in the form of two 512 sticks. Have a Razor Diamonback mouse and an old Hp keyboard that im using.

Thats pretty much my system....now for the question/dilema. When i play BF2 (online and off) I often have areas of the terrain go black and/or just phase out. This gets better as i lower my settings more and more but im just about as low as i can go and still got them even on the lowest settings. Now the first thing that came to mind for me was that i just wasnt getting enough power to everything to take full advantage of my computer. The rig i have is pretty decent and should be able to run BF2 on at least all medium settings so ive been told by my clan members (BF2 ATF). I was wondering just how true this is, and if just getting a larger PSU would solve most of my issues. I have the most updated drivers for my GPU at the moment as well. My plan when i get the money is to upgrade to a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 EPS12V EPS12V 750W Power Supply.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    what brand is your PSU now? depending on the brand a GOOD 250w could be pushing more power out than your 350w is. I always recommend sticking with a reliable brand. I stick with Antec but i know there are others that are just as good out there...im sure someone will be along to help you out a little more.
  • The-CoolestThe-Coolest Tel Aviv, Israel Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    That doesn't look like a PSU problem.
    Any decent 350W unit will run that system no problem.
    I would look more into an overheating or driver problem with the video card.
    Update all your motherboard and video drivers to the latest, see if the problem persists, also check to see if the card is not overheating or something.
    Another thing you can do is run other games and see if it happens in them as well. If it doesn't it could simply be a driver issue, if it does it could be something else.
    But PSU issues usually show themselves as stability problems, crashes, self-reboots, hard-shutdown, etc.