Folding issue.

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited October 2006 in Folding@Home
G'day.........the comp i use as a stand alone unit for general use started having problems.

I can play around on the internet, upload/download files, play racing games, do everything we do with computers.

Now all of a sudden folding locks it up. AMD Opteron DC running 2 instances (consoles) and EMIII.When it boots it gets to the consoles loading onto the screen with the usual info from Stanford. That is as far as it gets. EMIII shows info other than the protein data. No progressive info from the P772 & P773.

Last night after i finished playing around (games/internet) i loaded up the 2 consoles and went to bed. Got up this morning to find it had not done any frames. The comp time was spot on untill i tried bringing up task manager. Right click, left click on task manager, nothing came up and she just locked up.

I rebooted several times with the same results. In the end, as soon as the consoles came up on the screen, i shut them and EMIII down and am posting this message without any issues.

Anyone come across this problem?? Sally is reformatting her dually, which i just found out has the same problem. My dually is set up the same as Sally's and does not have this issue.

Totally confused.:confused:

Jon

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Try deleting all the cores in the FAH folder. I've had a core get wacked and lock up the whole shootin' match. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2006
    You were right on the money prof. Thank you.:thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    You're quite welcome. :) :ausflag:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    7:50PM Problem Submitted
    8:07PM Solution Submitted
    8:21PM Thank You Submitted
    8:24PM Thank You Received

Now THAT'S support!!!! :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2006
    Wow well done...

My compy kept freezing up. I would walk away from the comp, watch some telly and when I came back to it.. the mouse would be frozen onto the screen.

I had to remove FAH from my computer and will install it when I get something faster than the old clunker that I have.

Glad to see you got your problem solved Jon. :)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Wow well done...

My compy kept freezing up. I would walk away from the comp, watch some telly and when I came back to it.. the mouse would be frozen onto the screen.

I had to remove FAH from my computer and will install it when I get something faster than the old clunker that I have.

Glad to see you got your problem solved Jon. :)

Try installing it as a service, but setting the processor utilization at, say, 50% instead of 100%....
  • edited October 2006
    Well I configured it to 50% if that's the right thing to do, but if I left my computer for a long time and then went back to it, I found that the cpu it was using wouldn't go down again.

Was I doing it correctly?
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Well I configured it to 50% if that's the right thing to do, but if I left my computer for a long time and then went back to it, I found that the cpu it was using wouldn't go down again.

Was I doing it correctly?

you mean, it stays at 50%, even after you start using the machine? Is FAH's priority set to 'idle' or 'low'?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    FAH won't release the resources until they are needed by something else, something that would need your full cpu to run.
  • edited October 2006
    I don't know if I had it set to low or high priority. I did set it to 50% cpu .

I found that the amount of cpu that it used remained high even when I tried to do other things on the computer.

Sometimes I'd boot up and go off to make a coffee then find the computer frozen. This happened often so to do an experiment, I uninstalled FAH and the problem went away.

I'll reinstall it and play around with the settings.. thanks for the tip . (Thought I'd read the FAQ properly)

If it freezes me up still, I'll wait till I get my you beaut machine with the help of Jon..:headbange