DV9000T For Christmas

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, whats up, im new here, been reading for a while thou :tongue: Anyways, For Christmas i am definately buying a HP DV9000T lappy :rockon: after going through all brands, this by far is what fit my needs best, plus its the sexyest laptop in my opinion :p

Here are the Specs ... please note, i am not a gamer and this pc will mostly be used for internet and Architectual perposes (AutoCAD) so i do not need the best availble Vid Card ..

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Professional
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz)
Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)
Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
Personalization HP IMPRINT Finish + Microphone + Webcam
Memory 2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB)
Hard Drive FREE Upgrade to 100 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive!!
Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade - LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
Primary Battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Targus Deluxe Nylon Case
Extra HP 90W AC Adapter

Thats about it, and these specs almost tripple my current desktop, so i should be in for a treat :sweflag:

OK some questions :confused2

1. It has 2 harddrive capabilities, can i just purchase any laptop HD and use and the secondary ? or does it have to be from HP ?
2. I hear you guys recommend installing Software and games on a second HD, but lets say that HD dies, wont all your apps and Games stop working ? as is i have a second HD in my PC, but i use it just for Storing MP3's/Movies/Drawings etc ..
3. Will the lightscribe work on any CD, or does it have to be a speacial CD ?
4. Does it have fingerprint login ?
5. Any clue as to when HP my come out with a newer model as i wouldnt want to buy this in December only to see a newer better model come out in Jan :scratch:

Sorry for the long post :woowoo:

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Wiggy wrote:
    Hey guys, whats up, im new here, been reading for a while thou :tongue: Anyways, For Christmas i am definately buying a HP DV9000T lappy :rockon: after going through all brands, this by far is what fit my needs best, plus its the sexyest laptop in my opinion :p

Here are the Specs ... please note, i am not a gamer and this pc will mostly be used for internet and Architectual perposes (AutoCAD) so i do not need the best availble Vid Card ..

Targus Deluxe Nylon Case
    Extra HP 90W AC Adapter

Thats about it, and these specs almost tripple my current desktop, so i should be in for a treat :sweflag:

1. It has 2 harddrive capabilities, can i just purchase any laptop HD and use and the secondary ? or does it have to be from HP ?
    2. I hear you guys recommend installing Software and games on a second HD, but lets say that HD dies, wont all your apps and Games stop working ? as is i have a second HD in my PC, but i use it just for Storing MP3's/Movies/Drawings etc ..
    4. Does it have fingerprint login ?
    5. Any clue as to when HP my come out with a newer model as i wouldnt want to buy this in December only to see a newer better model come out in Jan :scratch:

1. You can use any laptop hard drive. As long as it is sata I believe, I forget if it is SATA or IDE.
    2. Yes, they will stop working, but it will reduce system latency having apps and the os separated.
    3. I think it has to be certain CD's
    4. Im not sure
    5. Probably within the next 6 moths, maybe not, who knows?
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks for the reply :cool2:

What if you make a partition for apps and games, whould that help or it would still cause latency ... also is the latency really noticeable ?? about how much pecent in speed or performance increase would i see ??

6Mhts hmm, thats not bad, i can go with the dv9000 then :clap: does any body know how long after the 8000 came out the made the 9000 ?

One last thing, how do you put vitual memory on the secondary HD ..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    1. In order to use the second hard drive, which must be a SATA notebook hard drive, you need the HP-specific bracket. It's like pulling teeth to obtain one.

2. The point in putting all your games/apps/files on another partition or disk is to prevent file deletion when you have to reformat and/or reinstall Windows.

3. You need lightscribe-specific discs.

4. Probably not. Features like this, such as in the Toshiba biometrics line, are prominently advertised. In fact, looking at the laptop, the answer is no.

5. It's hard to say.
    edited October 2006
    I thought if you just called hp and tell them that you needed a bracket they would ship it to you? I would think that they would just include it.
    edited October 2006
    Unless you pre-configure your HP from the factory with a second HDD, which comes with a bracket, you have to fight tooth claw and nail to get one.
  • edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Unless you pre-configure your HP from the factory with a second HDD, which comes with a bracket, you have to fight tooth claw and nail to get one.

You dv9000t guys are LUCKY, on the dv8000t which was released in like Jan-2006? (I bought one in April-06) us dv8000t owners didn't have a source or confirmation on the part number... till like 8-2006

Dv9000t HD bracket is listed on HP Partsurfer right now..
    http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

Plus there are other places that sell brackets...

• edited October 2006
    Wiggy wrote:

Targus Deluxe Nylon Case
    Extra HP 90W AC Adapter

Takes a SATA 150 hard drive, NO need to buy from HP

If the hard drive dies anything on it is not going to work... Personally I'd put the DATA generated by my apps on the second drive.... Either that or buy an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.... (Which btw is a smart thing to have)

Special CD to burn a "picture /logo, Label or text onto the TOP side of the dvd/cd, but you can burn regular DVD's Dual layer, cd's etc...

4. Does it have fingerprint login ? NO.... HP business class machine have that feature...

Sometime early in 2007 the next generation machines will be released... GOOGLE Hybrid hard drives and Vista....

SEE ABOVE IN BOLD for response (s)...
  • edited October 2006
    Kinda concerned about the HD bracket now, may just order dual harddrives to begin with ..

Also for you guys with experience ordering from HP, when is the best time to order ? do you know if they normally have thanksgiving or Christmas speacials ?
  • edited October 2006
    Wiggy wrote:
    Kinda concerned about the HD bracket now, may just order dual harddrives to begin with ..

Also for you guys with experience ordering from HP, when is the best time to order ? do you know if they normally have thanksgiving or Christmas speacials ?

Concerned about the HD bracket now???

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=431908&postcount=7
  • edited October 2006
    Have a bit more questions :confused2

Say i wait until Jan to buy .. by then it should ship with Vista, wont the price of the lappy almost double in price ?

Also what is the low down on Windows Media Center ? I notice if i take the PC with media ceter its abit less in price .. is there an option in media center to just use it without all the bells and whistels and just use it like regular XP pro ?
    edited October 2006
    When I buy a laptop, if it ships with vista, the first thing I am doing is formatting the hard drive and putting XP on it. You couldn't pay me to use Vista, at least not until everything stabilizes
  • edited October 2006
    OK, i was doing some reading on Windows XP home ... i cannot support a dual processor setup .. so my wondering if it will take advantage of the Core2 Duo processor ???

Also, being as XP home is watered down, will it run slightly faster then Professional ?
    edited October 2006
    Windows XP support of multiple CPUs has to do with the physical number of CPUs install in a system. While Windows XP Home doesn't support multiple physical CPUs, it can support any number of processor cores of which the C2D has 2. :)

Home and Pro run at the same speed.

Also, most manufacturers are now shipping their Vista Capable (Or better) notebooks with a Microsoft certificate to upgrade to Vista for a heavily discounted price. Inquire with HP about this over the phone.
  • edited October 2006
    OK kool ... think im goin to settle with Media Center .. i dont plan to use all the media stuff so i wont enable them ...