Cooling an x1900xt

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
I'd like my computer to be quieter. A lot quieter. I have this dust problem in my house and so the tiny little fins on the inlet for the heatsink for my video card get clogged up fast, and so the fan spins faster, and it's loud.

I know nothing about aftermarket cooling for video cards. What's the "big typhoon" of the video card cooling market nowadays?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    might I suggest some intake filters? though if you want cooling, I have always been partial to the arctive cooling coolers. They have this one out right now, which appears to be of good quality.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'm hoping for some personal testimonials. Have you used that cooler?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'm hoping for some personal testimonials. Have you used that cooler?

no, im not rich enough to even buy the card, let alone a computer good enough to put it in. You might also look at zalman's coolers, they are supposed to be pretty good too. I'm not sure if that cooler is affected, but I have heard from some people that some of the later AC coolers blow the air down into the motherboard instead of out the back. My friend had one of the older ones on his fx card, and it was as good as you'd expect from a cooler, it wasn't noisy, and it did the job.
  • edited October 2006
    Zalman vf-900
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I have used a Zalman cooler w/ 92mm fan on my r9800pro256...works great. It is silent when running in low rpm mode, and brought my temps down quite a bit from the all copper asus cooler that came with it.

So if Zalman is making anything compatible for your card, I would consider it.
  • edited October 2006
    Prime, I'm not sure which cooler would be the best for you X1900XT, but I know for a fact that the Zalman VF900 isn't enough cooler for it. I would suggest looking at that new card cooler that Thermalright has come out with, the HR-03 gpu cooler. It looks big and bad enough to cool about anything out there.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I agree with the HR-03. Supposed to be kickass. I have 2 on order myself.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I agree with the HR-03 they are kickass from what I have seen :) got to do some hands on with these bad boys in Vegas... Even with the fan they are much quieter than the stock cooling options....