What to buy? (motherboard and CPU)

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hi there

A couple of weeks ago I asked for some general advice in the Hardware discussion forum.

But now I can be more specific, I am looking for a great motherboard and a CPU.

Doing some researching I have narrowed it down to these two contestants:
Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X and the Asus CROSSHAIR
What should I choose and why?
They both have quite similar specs, and I think I would prefer Abit. :thumbsup:
But please give, me some input and make some suggestions.
Other motherboards are welcome too.

I will be using it for gaming and some moderate OC'ing.

I am also looking for a CPU and have my sights on a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2 Ghz) Windsor core.
It seems very nice, considering the price tag.
What are the prospects of OC'ing such a thing?
I am a bit rusty, since my last real OC'ing was done on my present Athlon XP (Thoroughbred). ;)

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If you look around you can find some video card comparisions that use AMD and some with Core2Duo. What you will find is:
    1. The video card is the major factor.
    2. Games that work the CPU harder run much faster with C2D

Yes, the C2D mobos are more expensive. And yes, I like AMD also, but right now Intel has the fast horse.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If your going A64 overclocking DFI lanparty sli-dr is gunna be the best bet as far as options.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2006
    I am going for the Abit AN9 Fatal1ty because I have really had great experiences with their boards in the past. And you've got to love the red color. :)

Pros: It has a nice clean layout, and feature a toslink-out on the audio daughterboard (then I will be able to hook it up to my surround receiver, just like I have done with my Soundstorm) Later I will be replacing it with a "real" sound card. (Not Creative, they do not use toslink AFAIK)

Cons: The two small 40 mm fans, I just know that they are gonna get noisy and die at some paint. Cheap fans always do especially when they are small.
    It lacks a bit of "bling bling" available on the Asus board, but I think I can do without. The Asus board doesn't have any fans though.

BTW: Can anyone tell me the max voltages available in the BIOS on the Abit board?
    Vcore, Vdimm etc.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Between the two I'd go Abit. I have my first Asus board now and it is in the process of being replaced by the Abit AT832. Asus has just left a bad taste so I won't be recommending them for anything anymore. No support whatsoever and they don't fix their mistakes. Crappy products AFAIC.
    You made the right choice I think.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Between the two I'd go Abit. I have my first Asus board now and it is in the process of being replaced by the Abit AT832. Asus has just left a bad taste so I won't be recommending them for anything anymore. No support whatsoever and they don't fix their mistakes. Crappy products AFAIC.
    You made the right choice I think.

I do have an eye on the DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G too.
    It has a lot of very nice OC'ing options, and three PCI slots.

The Abit board, has only one PCI slot and it is pretty much useless, if you are running two GFX in SLI. :confused:

This ain't easy I must say.
    It was a lot easier last time I bought a motherboard.

BTW: I e-mailed Asus with a technical question apprx. 7 years ago, they haven't replied yet. :nudge:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Okay, the ABIT boards you used to love are no longer made by the same people. DFI hired all the engineers responsible for the KX7-333R and the NF7-S 2.0. ABIT has not made a motherboard that has surpassed DFI in speed, overclockability or stability since.

Choose wisely.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Okay, the ABIT boards you used to love are no longer made by the same people. DFI hired all the engineers responsible for the KX7-333R and the NF7-S 2.0. ABIT has not made a motherboard that has surpassed DFI in speed, overclockability or stability since.

Choose wisely.

That is sad, but I guess DFI made a great move getting all the engineers.

I will stick to the AN9 32x though, mainly because it is available at the local supplier.
    The Lanparty is quite expensive here, and has to be shipped to me.

Another thing is, that I do not like the audio options on the Lanparty, no optical out etc. (I know I could buy a "real" soundcard, but after this upgrade, my bank balance would have seen better days. ;) )

Btw, I did stick with Corsair XMS modules these:
    Twin2X 2x1024MB DDR2, PC6400 DDR800, CAS 4-4-4-12
    They should be able to do some decent OC'ing I hope.

EDIT: I can change my mind though, I am going to get the motherboard saturday ;)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Well MJO, let me know when you look to get rid of your old NF7. I am always looking for more to add to my collection. Especially now that my KT7s are bitting the dust.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Well MJO, let me know when you look to get rid of your old NF7. I am always looking for more to add to my collection. Especially now that my KT7s are bitting the dust.
    Mine is just the opposite. My NF7 is biting the dust and my KT7A is going strong! I really should replace that NF7.