Best AGP under $150?

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I've been planning to upgrade my system, but I won't have the cash to do a complete changeover to a new platform (from my AXP to a Core 2 or Athlon 64 system) for a few months. But my system is running Civ4 way too slow, and it's driving me nuts.

So what's the best AGP card I can buy for under $150? I don't want to spend much more than that since I can't expect the resale value to be very high on a dead-end interface, and I'll be upgrading to PCI-E probably in Feb/March. On Newegg, it looks like my choice is between a 7600GS and a X1600Pro. I haven't been keeping track of graphics cards lately - is there a clear winner between those two cards?

What I'd really like to be able to do is run Civ4 (only game I'm playing right now) at 1600x1200 (LCD native resolution) with 2xAA. That might be asking too much, but I'll take anything that's noticably faster than my moderately-OC'd 9800 non-pro (at 395 core, 305 memory).

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Relevant system specs:
Abit NF7-S, Mobile Barton at 1900Mhz, 1GB Ram at 200mhz (bargain RAM won't OC)
Currenlty using ATI 9800 non-pro.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Hmm, I've read in some places that the x800 or x850s might be the better choice. Newegg List

Thoughts?

Edit: This one in particular looks pretty good, with unlocking the extra pipes and all.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, in the well under $150 catagory I would say the $75 for a 9800 Pro 128 meg version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195027
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Well, in the well under $150 catagory I would say the $75 for a 9800 Pro 128 meg version.

I think he wants something better than he currently has
    That might be asking too much, but I'll take anything that's noticably faster than my moderately-OC'd 9800 non-pro (at 395 core, 305 memory).

ahhh! not the 9800 Pro :( lol It was good in its time of the G5 series :) but it is time to retire the 9000 series

TBH you can pick up a 6600 256MB AGP and it will run your Civ 4 game and most other games fine until you upgrade your system. Usually priced between $65 - $100 it out ranks the 9800 Pro as it supports all the current tech in game, and it won't break the bank...

If you want the better card for your buck and want to drop $150.00 go for the 7600GS it is faster than the current X1600's but quality wise I would say both cards are in the same ballpark.
  • edited October 2006
    Someone slap me for not reading the entire post.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    WHAP!!!

The 76 is the faster card in almost every benchmark.
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

So I've read in a few places that the x850Pro has more horsepower than the 7600GS, especially when it comes to using AA at high resolutions (due to the 256-bit memory). Of course, the x850 dosen't support Shaders 3.0. I've been going back and forth over the last couple of hours on which kind of eye candy I want, but I think I'm leaning towards the 7600GS. It might run a little slower, but I can get a taste of the eye candy yet to come when I get a more powerful PCI-E card later :)
    edited October 2006
    Good choice, but I have seen a 7600 vs a X850 and well.. you will be happy with your choice :)
  • edited October 2006
    Toms Hardware has a video gpu comparision chart. It ranks the 7600GS below the 7600GT and the x850Pro above them both. Is there a price difference? I looked on NewEgg and it seemed like around $30 to $60 difference betweent the 3 cards. The 7600GS being the cheapest and the x850Pro being the most expensive with the GT falling some where in between. I guess its a matter of taste there and how much green you wanna spend.

Post some benchmarks with what ever you get. I got a PCI-E 7600GT and I am building the system within a few days. I will post mine.

Good luck
    edited October 2006
    The GTs are getting harder to find. Newegg only has two for sale, one is out of stock and has flaky reviews (disaggreements on whether memory speed is being reported right), and the other is in stock but no reivews.

Still deciding... but the GT looks like it would handle FSAA much better.
    edited October 2006
    The 7600GS is an AGP card and a 7600GT is a PCI-Express card... They use the same chipsets...

I also think most of the AGP versions of the 7600GS really use GDDR2 and not GDDR3. The Egg is the only site I have seen reporting a AGP 7600 with GDDR3... But they might have made a GDDR3 variation.
    edited October 2006
    Newegg has two 7600GTs in AGP (check the links in my last post). They seem to have a 560mhz core clock vs. 400mhz in the GS, and faster memory as well.
    edited October 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Newegg has two 7600GTs in AGP (check the links in my last post). They seem to have a 560mhz core clock vs. 400mhz in the GS, and faster memory as well.

What the hell?

Nvidia is really trying to confuse me now :( the GS line has always been there AGP card, but I guess when the 7900GS was released they opted for the switch up with GT and GS :( Its so hard to keep up with all these name changes :)
    edited October 2006
    It's too bad they cost so much more for AGP. After a rebate, I would spend $70 less on the PCI-E version of a 7600GT. But $70 won't buy me a new mobo and processor :bawling:
    edited October 2006
    yeah it could :) Celerons are about $34 and I am sure you could get a cheap $35.00 mobo :)

But who wants a $34 1.6GHz Celeron?
    edited October 2006
    But who wants a $34 1.6GHz Celeron?

;D

Not I, sir. Not I. :)
    edited October 2006
    Well, I broke my own pricing rule and ordered the 7600GT. It might be awhile before I can do a major upgrade, and I didn't want to wish the whole time that I would have gotten a better card. Thanks for the tips, guys! :thumbsup:
    edited October 2006
    Oh Man I should of mentioned I have a 7800GS I would have parted with for around that price :)
    edited October 2006
    Yes, you should have. You punk. :P
    edited October 2006
    PM sent :)
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    How about the Radeon X700 for $80 or so? I just ordered one from tigerdirect.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Well, itis off topic, but if one of you looking to sell a decent AGP card I need one.

Just PM me.
    ed