2006 Athlon Handbook: Sneak Peek

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
This is me not wanting to screw with my HTML for vB's hideous handling thereof. Enjoy, chaps and dames.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I know you love the first Code name on that list :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I think it was an ugly stopgap chip. ;D<3
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Lol! the Sledgehammer core FX chip was pretty kick butt for its time :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Someone ought to write this up into a nice little article. Or is that what the "sneak peek" refers to? ;)
    edited October 2006
    Bingo. ;)
  • edited October 2006
    Nice write up and just on time, I was planning to assemble an Opteron 165 system this weekend. Thanks :cheers:
    edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Nice write up and just on time, I was planning to assemble an Opteron 165 system this weekend. Thanks :cheers:

Keep waiting! You'll probably want to read what AMD is doing with the Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 before you decide to jump on the AMD bandwagon. Some big things are coming, like a jump to 65nm for the Athlon 64 line -- nothing is said on any AMD roadmap about the same thing coming for the Opteron until the timeline you see. It may be that AMD's newest babies hit the A64 first, so you can save money AND get a cheaper/faster/colder chip.
  • edited October 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Keep waiting! You'll probably want to read what AMD is doing with the Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 before you decide to jump on the AMD bandwagon. Some big things are coming, like a jump to 65nm for the Athlon 64 line -- nothing is said on any AMD roadmap about the same thing coming for the Opteron until the timeline you see. It may be that AMD's newest babies hit the A64 first, so you can save money AND get a cheaper/faster/colder chip.

I can't :) I have already ordered the pieces

Asrock 939Dual-VSTA $70 arrived
    Opteron 165 $156 open-box, enroute
    2GB PNY DDR400 (4x512) $151 Clearance CompUSA
    TT BigTyphoon $40 enroute
    True430W PSU $30 arrived

I really liked the Asrock board from my 64X2 experience and then I found the DDR deal at CompUSA, then Opteron 165 appeared on Newegg, these were all calling me to the wild again, I had to go :D

I think I have a good deal here. I am also expecting that AMD's 65nm chips will be very good, but not at this price point, at least initially. Let's see which models of these 65nm chips will be the overclocking champs. Then, I will jump again ;)