CPU clock

CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
edited October 2006 in Hardware
I have another question :). I have been reading here and there and found a few references to raising the reference clock to ~300MHz. The multiplier is reduced to keep the cpu clock speed within it's specs and the RAM ratio reduced.
What advantage is there in doing this if the cpu is running at close to stock speeds as is the RAM? I thought that the cpu clock speed would have been the best way to OC?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Actually there is no reason I can figure to raise the fsb (or HTT in AMD's case) speed while both reducing the multiplier and running a memory divisor, keeping both near the original clock speeds of the cpu and memory. Now some people might like to run their ram at a higher than PC3200 bus speed if they have DDR rated for higher speeds but don't want to actually overclock the cpu's running speed. Or conversely, they might have some cheapo ram that can't do much past PC3200 speeds but want to overclock their cpu and they raise the fsb or HTT speeds while using a memory divisor to keep the DDR at stock speeds. Otherwise it's just an exercise in nothing, doing this with both ram and cpu speeds at the same time.
  • CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
    edited October 2006
    So, I was scratching my head for nothing :). Thanks muddocktor