Pentium D 805 on an 850E mobo?

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Will the 805 run on the 850E mobo since they both have 533MHz FSB?

I have read the 805 is great for overclocking... has anyone actually tried it?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    jdcraun wrote:
    Will the 805 run on the 850E mobo since they both have 533MHz FSB?

I have read the 805 is great for overclocking... has anyone actually tried it?

Sorry, that is not possible. PD-805 needs socket 775 compared to socket 478 on 850E motherboards. It is just too old for PD-805
  • edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Sorry, that is not possible. PD-805 needs socket 775 compared to socket 478 on 850E motherboards. It is just too old for PD-805

Is the Abit NI8-SLI a good mobo to run it on? I'm looking for a cheap upgrade to keep the comp up to speed when Vista comes out and something I can overclock for some game performance.

What would be the best RAM to run this config on?
  • edited October 2006
    jdcraun, since you are evidently thinking of a decent upgrade to your old RDRAM P4 rig, I would recommend that you buy a motherboard that is capable of running the Core 2 Duo processors as well as all the netburst processors. And from what everyone is seeing so far, the some of the boards based on the P965 chipset have been stellar performers. But if you decide to go that route, you will also have to upgrade to a PCI-e video card too. There are a couple of motherboards out there that are capable of running either an AGP or PCI-e card, but they are real budget boards and don't overclock well with C2D. And with the Pentium D processors such as the 830 you are talking about, they (the 830) draw some hellacious current when overclocking more than just a little bit and you stand a good chance of frying the power mosfets out of the cheaper boards too. So you are in a kind of catch 22 loop right now, unless you can cough up some decent amounts of money.

What you might want to do is to buy that cheap mobo anyways. The one I'm thinking of is this 775Dual-VSTA to start with. It will run the 830 you are thinking of buying and it's a cheap mobo that will allow you to migrate to a new system in stages. It has both DDR and DDR2 slots, plus it has both AGP and PCI-e video card slots too. Since you don't have DDR you can then buy a decent set of DDR2 ram and still run the old AGP video card out of your old machine for now. Then later on you can buy a decent PCI-e video card and perhaps consider buying a more overclocking friendly board, along with a cheaper C2D processor later on. C2D draws significantly less power and puts out significantly less heat than a Smithfield 830.

Before we go getting into more specifics, what kind of budget do you think you can put this upgrade on? That would change quite a few choices, depending on what you can spend. :)
  • edited October 2006
    I think your equipment is now too old to consider recycling some parts for upgrading with today's components. I also think PD-805 is not cost effective anymore, especially compared to Core2 Duo E6300. You will need to overclock PD-805 and you will need to buy a good cooler for this purpose for an additional amount of around $50. Even with overclocking and a good cooler it will barely be in the same performance category with a not-overclocked E6300. In fact you can overclock E6300 pretty well with its stock cooler. So, PD-805 is, imho, past story.

While trying to keep the cost at a minimum and aiming overclocking and future upgrades, I would buy the followings if I were you.
    GIGABYTE GA-945P-S3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Plus, you can add the memory and graphics card as they fit in your budget and performance requirements.

I am pretty sure there will be other recommendations. This is a very friendly community, many people will try to help. Read the other recommendations before your decision and good luck. :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2006
    Oh, here you go. I missed muddocktor's post before sending mine. That Asrock board is also a good choice.
  • edited October 2006
    Do you have a link to the video card, so we can see whether it's AGP or PCI-e? They have made the X1600 series in both AGP and PCI-e models.
  • edited October 2006
    @ mirage... you make some valid points. The conroe is high end tech but I still would have to pay for it. If I go back a year to PDs I can save 80% off the price of current Conroe processors and the high end mobo needed to run it. Just a little too high for me right now. When I upgrade the whole system the quad cores will be out and if I do a good job of the upgrade maybe the next gen after that.

I found a PD 830 for $48... if I combine it with muddrock's Asrock board I'm only looking at $100 for the mobo and processor. Only thing I need is RAM I guess.

Is ATI's X1600PRO a PCI-e card? b/c I it will be here on monday.
  • edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Do you have a link to the video card, so we can see whether it's AGP or PCI-e? They have made the X1600 series in both AGP and PCI-e models.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102666R
    So I guess it is AGP... what is the difference?
  • edited October 2006
    The interfaces are totally different and not interchangeable. You can even physically stick an AGP card into a X16 PCI-e slot or vice-versa. But that card would work in the Asrock board I linked to just fine because it has both an AGP and an X16 PCI-e slot. But with the Asrock board, the AGP slot will actually perform a little faster as the PCI-e slot only has 4 physical lanes for data transfer, instead of the normal 16 lanes. But either type video card would give acceptable performance on that mobo.
  • edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    The interfaces are totally different and not interchangeable. You can even physically stick an AGP card into a X16 PCI-e slot or vice-versa. But that card would work in the Asrock board I linked to just fine because it has both an AGP and an X16 PCI-e slot. But with the Asrock board, the AGP slot will actually perform a little faster as the PCI-e slot only has 4 physical lanes for data transfer, instead of the normal 16 lanes. But either type video card would give acceptable performance on that mobo.

Sounds like for right now the AGP will work well with this mobo. I take it most graphics intensive programs don't utilize the benefits of PCI-e yet?
  • edited October 2006
    What would be most cost efficient DDR2 RAM for this rig?
  • edited October 2006
    jdcraun wrote:
    @ mirage... you make some valid points. The conroe is high end tech but I still would have to pay for it. If I go back a year to PDs I can save 80% off the price of current Conroe processors and the high end mobo needed to run it. Just a little too high for me right now. When I upgrade the whole system the quad cores will be out and if I do a good job of the upgrade maybe the next gen after that.

I found a PD 830 for $48... if I combine it with muddrock's Asrock board I'm only looking at $100 for the mobo and processor. Only thing I need is RAM I guess.

Is ATI's X1600PRO a PCI-e card? b/c I it will be here on monday.

PD-830 for $48 is a very good deal. Can you tell where you found this deal, if you do not mind? Is it used or new?
  • edited October 2006
    Can I use PC2-3200 RAM with this or do I need PC2-4200? There is quite a difference in the going rate.
  • edited October 2006
    mirage wrote:
    PD-830 for $48 is a very good deal. Can you tell where you found this deal, if you do not mind? Is it used or new?

It was offered to me by my cousin, he is stripping his rig for some cash on a new one. It is a year old but only has the CPU, would I need to get a new fan and heatsink? Do I need a new powersupply?
  • edited October 2006
    jdcraun wrote:
    It was offered to me by my cousin, he is stripping his rig for some cash on a new one. It is a year old but only has the CPU, would I need to get a new fan and heatsink? Do I need a new powersupply?

I recommend a good aftermarket fan. We have a Gateway computer with PD-830 at work. It was shutting down due to heat at warm days when we were running simulations on both cores with the stock fan. I recommend Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for a budget choice, if you want a better cooler for about two times the price get a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, some people strongly recommend Zalman CNPS-9500 which is even more expensive. You will need a good PSU for this little furnace. Make sure you have two 12v rails and the total maximum current on 12v rails is more than 24A at minimum, ~30A is better. Regarding your previous question about DDR2-400 (i.e. PC2 3200), yes it should be sufficient for PD-830, but you will not have much headroom for overclocking.

Hope these are helpful.