Change my mind!

edited October 2006 in Hardware
I have thought about what mirage and muddocktor have said and have reserved the option to buy the following:

E6300 Conroe CPU
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115005

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813157092

pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820141225

The 256MB X1600-PRO I got turned out to be PCI-e... I was mad when I went to plug it into the AGP slot and it wasn't there! I guess I'll just have to wait till I get my new mobo.

My questions and comments:

Is this going to require a bigger PSU than the one that came with P4 533 rigs?

Is this level and amount of RAM enough to overclock this to say 3GHz? If I do can I use the Conroe stock fan or do I have to get that Arctic blast one?
I hear this CPU runs pretty cool. If 3 is too much what would you suggest clocking it to to be safe on the stock fan?

I just want to say thanks to mirage and muddockocter for being patient with this n00b. I have come to conclude that if I'm going to spend any real money I might as well get something that is 06' tech. I hate being obsolete as soon as I get the damn thing. One thing that helped pushed me over to this rig was a free copy of Ghost Recon with the CPU purchase. It wasn't so bad when I saw that. :thumbsup: It's still about $150 more than I wanted to spend but this system will be sooo much more up-to-date to be worth it.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    bump... just bought it!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    2.6-2.8 is a little safer on the stock fan with an e6300/6400. That DDR2 may hold you back a bit as the e6300 has very low multiplier options.

That motherboard, however, will probably be your biggest detractor. Sure is cheap, but it sure doesn't overclock well/easily for people who mind painting their brand new CPUs with conductive material.
  • edited October 2006
    Do you think I might be able to get it up to 2.6 safely with the items listed?
  • edited October 2006
    I doubt that you can get there with that mobo, jd. But since that board is only a $50 board, it's not like you are sinking a whole lot of money into it. Just look at the board as a temporary placeholder for now that will give you a little overclocking headroom, but not much. You can always buy a better overclocking mobo later on down the road, such as the Asus P5B-E or Dlx, or the Gigabyte P965-DS3 or DQ6 later on down the road. Regardless of it's lack of overclocking prowness, you will like the performance of the new Conroe system much better than the previous P4 system. I've found that both my older P4 systems felt laggy and slow compared to both my AMD and Intel systems using a true dual core processor. And the folding rig I just built with my e6300 I first bought while waiting for the e6600's to come available at Conroe's launch is about in the same shape as the system you are putting together, overclocking-wise. I wanted to build a system that reused my old ram and vid card with the e6300, so I tried the Asrock 775i65G mobo, which turns out doesn't overclock worth a darn either. But what can you expect from a $50 mobo. And it did let me reuse everything but mobo and processor, including my original psu.

And that was another reason I didn't recommend a more overclocking-friendly board to you too right now. All the higher end motherboards are now requiring new power supplies that have a 24 pin ATX connector instead of the 20 pin connector your present psu uses. And a decent, modern psu will cost you $100 or better nowdays. But with the constraints your mobo will restrict you to on overclocking, I think your present psu should be ok unless it's some anemic 250 watt model. But since it was powering your P4 system just fine, I don't see a problem for you there.

As far as the ram goes, I think that it shouldn't restrict this system build but probably won't do when you upgrade to a better motherboard later on. I always try to buy the best ram I can afford when building a new system, even holding off on the system build if I can't afford a good ram choice, because I do overclock my systems.

EDIT: And jd, if you would have titled this thread a little more informatively, I would have seen this thread earlier. Something like "System Build advice needed" incuded in the thread title would have clued everyone in that you were trying to get a system build together and needed advice on your selections. I tend to overloook thread titles that are real vague and put them off for later, concentrating on thread titles that are more informative. :) Not fussing mind you, just trying to help you out here. :)