Will not Post

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

Yesterday I was flashing the bios on my P5B deluxe wifi and ran into problems. I successfully flashed the bios and then the computer reset itself. However it will no longer post. It will just sit there powered on without doing anything. I tried to reset the CMOS but no luck. While doing so I touched something that turned my computer on. I forgot to unplug the dumb thing. Is there anything I can do to get it to post? Could I have done any damage to the board or anything else?

Thanks guys,

Radio91P:rant:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Unplug it, yank the CMOS battery and move the jumper to CMOS clear. Wait a few hours, plug your PC back in. Before powering the PC on, press and hold the INSERT key on a PS/2 keyboard, and boot the PC with the insert key held.

What BIOS version?
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited November 2006
    Currently have bios 614 I believe moving to 804.

Why is it that it takes so long for the CMOS to reset. How does that whole thing work, and what is the insert function actually do>?

I will try that tonight! I am glad that you know this crazy stuff! More than what ASUS can say!

Thanks Thrax,

Radio91P

P.S. ASUS service sucks!!!! Not even how are you today! WHAT DO YOU WANT!!!!:thumbsdow
    edited November 2006
    It usually doesn't take so long to reset, but computers are prone to PFM (Pure f***ing magic), and I've had super-long CMOS resets work in the past. INSERT loads setup defaults before POST on most PCs.
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the tips man. I love knowing tidbits like that. That tip saved me sending the board back to ASUS. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2006
    It worked?
    edited November 2006
    Sorry,

Yes it did.
    edited November 2006
    w00t! :D I'll add this to my FAQ.