Please Help Internal HD shows up as DVD drive

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Greetings. I have a Pentium IV with an Intel Desktop Board (D865GBF). I tried to install a second hard drive. In the bios the primary master hard drive is a Maxator and the primary slave hard drive is a Samsung. In control pannel the second hard drive shows up as a DVD drive. Please help

thanks

b.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Set all the BIOS IDE and/or SATA channels to "Auto", then boot into Safe Mode. Go to Device Manager, click View>>Show Hidden Devices and try uninstalling all the Drives, IDE Channels, and SATA Channels you find. Reboot and give Windows another shot at setting things up correctly.
  • edited November 2006
    Thank you. Do you think that the problem could be due to a virus?
    edited November 2006
    Thank you.
    Does that mean it worked? :)
    Do you think that the problem could be due to a virus?
    Possibly, but it's more likely that either the BIOS and Windows had a little miscommunication, or that one or the other just got confused.
  • edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Does that mean it worked? :)

Possibly, but it's more likely that either the BIOS and Windows had a little miscommunication, or that one or the other just got confused.

No it didnt work :( any other thoughts?
    edited November 2006
    What does it show under Disk Management in the Computer Management screen?
  • edited November 2006
    How do I get to "computer management"? I use Windows Xp.

When I get to "disk management" what information should I take down and relay back to you?

When I went into Control Panel > Systems > Hardware Device Managment, the Samsung HD300LD (the hard drive that still shows up as a DVD drive) was listed with the primary master hard drives under the drives tab. The driver used for both drives is a microsoft driver issued in 2001. Both of the drives had identical properties listed under the various tabs.
  • edited November 2006
    i didnt see any driver for the SamsungHD300Ld but there was some other software. I have no idea what it is though. Please help:

http://www.samsung.com/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select.aspx?type=Hard+Disk+Drive&typecode=12&subtype=HDD(3.5)&cmssubtypecode=1203&model=HD300LD&filetype=SW&language=
    edited November 2006
    How do I get to "computer management"? I use Windows Xp.

When I get to "disk management" what information should I take down and relay back to you?...
    Right-click on My Computer, left-click on Manage.

If you can post a screenshot of the Disk Management section, that would be great. :)
  • edited November 2006
    see attachment
    edited November 2006
    It's showing the new drive as unallocated space, which is normal. Do you have SP1 installed?

If so, try going into Disk Management, right-click the unallocated Disk 1, then create a partition, followed by a format of that partition.
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks for your help. The drive works now. Can you help me with another issue, please?

How come some DVD-Rs work perfectly while others are work sometimes? That is when you put the DVD-R into the computer the computer might show that it is blank when there definitely has content on it.

How do I remedy the situation?
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for your help. The drive works now. Can you help me with another issue, please?
    Glad it worked. :cheers:
    How come some DVD-Rs work perfectly while others are work sometimes? That is when you put the DVD-R into the computer the computer might show that it is blank when there definitely has content on it.

How do I remedy the situation?
    If the disc is not finalized it may appear to be blank. There can also be problems with some drives and some brands of discs. For a good read on the subject, check this out. :)
  • edited November 2006
    I have a dvd that I want to copy & paste onto a hard drive. Everytime I try to copy the dvd i try to paste the contents onto the hard drive the process stops at a particular file I get an error message that says that cylic redundancy is the problem. what shuold I do ?
    edited November 2006
    The CRC is a means of determining if the data was copied or transmitted accurately. It sounds like there was a glitch in the burning process and that particular file didn't get written properly. You may be able to use a data recovery program to try and recover the file, but it might be just plain lost. :(
  • edited December 2006
    what data recovery program do you suggest?

I noticed that the problems that I have with DVD only occurs when I receive them from people in Britain or Canada. Why?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited December 2006
    Could be that our dvd region is different from the states
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    DVD regions don't apply to home-brew data DVDs. Only movies.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited December 2006
    Hardware not my forte thanks for the info Thrax