SATA and IDE configuration problem

edited November 2006 in Hardware
i received my dell xps410 (which has one SATA drive) and followed some suggestions given. i installed the promise ultra/133 tx2 controller card and made sure it had the latest bios and windows XP drivers. my IDE drive showed up as E: in windows and i was able to recover the data, so a big success there.

now to the problem...

when i start my computer it successfully recognizes the IDE controller card and the 300gb drive on it, but as bios proceeds it encounters a problem. the message below is the last one displayed before it freezes.

No area available for Command List/Command Table/FIS
AHCI BIOS not installed
Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R
Copyright(C) 2003-06 Intel Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

the only way i can boot now is by the F12 boot menu and manually choosing the SATA drive. also, i made sure that in bios the boot order would read the SATA drive before the IDE drive. no luck.

please help.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    i just tried switching a setting in bios from RAID ON to RAID AUTODETECT/ATA and it worked so far as i didn't get that error message and windows started to load! then after about 5 seconds i got a blue screen stoping windows to "prevent damage." i set it back to RAID ON.

thought this could maybe help. i also should point out that i don't know anything about RAID or how it's currently configured in my system.