Is my drive screwed?

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Hi I have recently experienced a serious pc failure possibly a PSU issue and after two weeks of trying it still won't boot so i think it's wrecked. Anyway i had two 160gb ide drives installed. I whipped them out after the failure and gave them to a friend to try out on his pc. He told me that the c: drive which was the boot drive was fine and he could access all the data. However the secondary drive, a hitachi deskstar 160gb was not accessible.

It showed up in disk management as a foreign disk but the only option availble was "convert to basic". He didn't use this option in case it wiped all my data. Just today i bought a usb hard drive enclosure and tried the drive on my girlfriends laptop with the same results. I couldn't access the drive through my computer and it showed up in disk management as a foreign disk with the option to "convert to basic". Should i try this option? I really want to save my data. I have backed up some of it but not nearly enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.:cheers:

UPDATE

I found out through google that i can only import foreign disks with XP pro. I have tried it on my friends XP pro pc and voila my data is there no thanks to those lousy microsoft bastards!! Sorry if i wasted anyones time and thanks to those who read the thread. Cheers:rockon: