Game Server System Setup?

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Well it isn't very often I ask for major hardware help, but this time I just want opinions. I am not much of a guru on what Game servers need but I get the idea of the basics. More ram and a good CPU, along with a good HD or raid array setup paired with an awesome Upload & Download. here is the current system I have running a new game server, But I have a bit of extra cash and want to update it to a nice box...

Current Server System

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ "939" socket
Ram - 4 x 512MB DDR500 PC4000
HD - 80GB SATA II
Mobo - EVGA standard Mobo
GPU - 6600GT

Along with this box running the server I am also doing tons of data intensive searches across the DB's and adjusting this in real time on the server. Which I have noticed with this system, when I do a search the actual Game play glitches for a few sec’s. The DB is pretty big and it is much easier to change things live as everything is #id based, so to see what changes in game makes it much easier for me 

Here are a few questions I am thinking about in regards to the system and how it runs, and what would make it run faster. Keep in mind the above current specs should run a 500 man server without a hitch, but I am looking for forward expansion of 1500 - 2500 which is more ram and bandwidth overall "correct me if I am wrong" If the server ever peaks to 2500 users I will be building a real server box possibly based on the 4x4 system or AMD’s new server setups.. But that is in the future…

1.) If I put the game server and Db on a new HD and off the OS HD, will I see a increase in speed access...

2.) Will a system with 2 x 1GB of ram perform better than a system with 4 x 512MB of ram?

3.) Should I look at a Dual core Opteron over a Dual X2 CPU?

4.) What other items would I need or do I need to increase performance of the server?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    One thing I notice is that you pay no attention whatsoever to a critical piece of that server - the network card.

You really should get a server-grade network card for a game server. 3Com makes great server adapters (the 3cr990b, for example), and intel makes good server adapters as well (such as the pro 1000pt server card).
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    <---- Moron :)

Are there any good server grade Nic cards for under $40.00? or anyone want to part with one :)
    edited November 2006
    Is this going to be a windows machine, or linux?
    edited November 2006
    Win Blows... I am far form being in any sort of know how in Linux...

I wish I had Windows Server 2003 but I am stuck with XP, as I want to keep this machine 100% Legal and legit like all my other machines...
    edited November 2006
    1.) If I put the game server and Db on a new HD and off the OS HD, will I see a increase in speed access...

2.) Will a system with 2 x 1GB of ram perform better than a system with 4 x 512MB of ram?

3.) Should I look at a Dual core Opteron over a Dual X2 CPU?

4.) What other items would I need or do I need to increase performance of the server?
    edited November 2006
    Nothing? or have I covered my issue?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Prime is right about the nic. I use to run some game servers at a local ISP and you would be surprised how many had problems because of the stupid nic.

Does your board have SATA on it? When I use to run game servers, the boxes with WD raptor 10,000 rpm drives definitely have the performance advantage. Its the best thing you can do without going all out on SCSI

As far as your questions
    1. if you put it on a raptor drive, yes :)
    2. I don't think there is a difference but I will let someone else confirm or correct me on this one.
    3. I am cheap, so I would go with which ever is cheapest ;). Prime is the server man, I will let him get this one.
    edited November 2006
    Prime you mention I could build a 1U server pretty cheap, where would I got to look for all the parts? I can't seem to find an good deals at Dell or HP, or IBM, am I over looking a company that offers good preices for 1U servers?
    edited November 2006
    I usually part them out myself and use rackmountpro.com for the "1U" parts, like the heatsink, case, and powersupply.
  • edited November 2006
    1.) There have been claims made to this, but it's never been backed up with hard evidence. It would be a good idea if you wanted to make the non OS related data easier to back up though.

2.) No. In fact, it makes overclocks much more difficult, if you plan to go that route.

3.) Some say Opterons overclock better because they're a "higher grade" than the Athlons, but since it's all luck of the draw anyways it's really hard to prove. Then again, if you dont plan to overclock you should just get whats cheapest for the speed you want.

4.) A RAID array and a good NIC, but otherwise it couldn't be much better without really nitpicking.
    edited November 2006
    I am not planning on OCing this system. It has to be 100% stable 100% of the time...
    edited November 2006
    I usually part them out myself and use rackmountpro.com for the "1U" parts, like the heatsink, case, and powersupply.
    I put in a request for a quote.. hopefully they will get back to me soon.
  • edited November 2006
    I am not planning on OCing this system. It has to be 100% stable 100% of the time...

Well in that case Athlons aren't going to be any less stable than Opterons. Just get what happens to be cheaper at the time.