Unmountable boot startup loop - can't even reach safe mode

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I've been reading a bunch of the threads, and I think I have an idea of how to remedy this, but I have a couple questions:

First, we did have a region-wide power failure a day or two before this started.

2. My computer had just downloaded the latest version of Triton AIM and then did its obligitory restart.

3. I got into the WinXP startup loop (briefly seeing the blue screen of death then rebooting)

4. I have done the various hitting of F8 and F3, and it still goes into the loop when I try to go into safe mode and/or command prompt.

5. My hard drive is partitioned into a C:/ and a D:/ All my data is on D, programs on C. -- If I boot from CD and try to do a chkdsk /r to repair the drive or do the fixboot, will it wipe out all my data on both C & D (losing the partition info)???

All the photos of my 2-year-old daughter live on this drive and I do not have most of them backed up yet. (Bad daddy) The good news is that I was keeping my financial data on a slave hard drive, so that data is still accessible.

Please help!!

thanks,
jim

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    No, you won't lose data if you boot the windows recovery console and type:

1. fixboot
    2. fixmbr
    3. chkdsk /r

In fact, that is what I suggest you do. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks, Thrax! You made my day. I'll give it a shot!
    Thrax wrote:
    No, you won't lose data if you boot the windows recovery console and type:

1. fixboot
    2. fixmbr
    3. chkdsk /r

In fact, that is what I suggest you do. :)