3D hardware doesnt have enough memory?

boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
edited November 2006 in Hardware
This is the error message Im getting when I try to play a game (Aliens vs Predator) which came out in 2000 for Windows 95/98 while my pc is packing an NVidia GeForce 6800 and Windows XP Prof. that allows me to play games such as Doom 3 flawlessly. Ive tried to use the set settings the game provides in its options and none of them work. Is there a way to adjust the memory useage or will the game just not run at all?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Try compatibility mode.

Right click the game's shortcut. Click properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Set the drop down to Windows 98 and see if that helps at all.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited November 2006
    No, that didnt do anything. I received the same error.

"3D hardware doesnt have enough memory to run in this resolution or bit-depth. Please select a lower setting."

This is the exact text in the error, I realize I was a bit vague in the description in the title and I apologize. -_-
    edited November 2006
    Okay. Based on what I just read, it seems like it's an issue with newer nVidia drivers. Can you check what version you're running?
    edited November 2006
    NVidia GeForce 6800.

Is this the answer youre looking for? Im not that computer savvy if you know what I mean.
    edited November 2006
    No problem. Actually I need your Forceware version number. It doesn't matter too much now that I've read some more.

Go here and grab the latest Forceware drivers and install those. It *may* fix your problem. Though I'm more inclined to believe that it will give you what is being referred to as "the black screen error." The memory issue will be gone though. Heh!

Give them a shot, though, and report back, please. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    ...Alternatively, the game may just have no idea what new hardware is, and is one of those games that we all must write off due to lack of future-proofing in the design.
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    ...Alternatively, the game may just have no idea what new hardware is, and is one of those games that we all must write off due to lack of future-proofing in the design.

I was dreading this answer, Aliens vs Predator is soooo much fun. Anyway, Cyclonite, Im downloading the driver now.
    edited November 2006
    Alright, the driver seemed to help a little bit. And by that I mean I can get the game to run now, but when I start up a level I cant see a damn thing: level textures, enemies, weapon skins, nothing...the only thing that I can see however is the heads up display: ammo count, health, and such.
    edited November 2006
    Take a look at this thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9382&st=0

This is where I got most of the information from. It seems like it got b0rked in newer drivers, then they *sorta* fixed it in the latest. Unfortunately, it's still unplayable. If you want to give some of the downgrade suggestions a try, then by all means. Keep in mind, though, it will probably break your newer games. And there is some risk in messing up your drivers if you don't know what you're doing.
    edited November 2006
    Meh, it isnt that important to me. Busting up those drivers is something Im not willing to risk. Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help Cyclonite.
    edited November 2006
    No problem. If you find a solution, be sure to let us know. :)