Silly IBM Netfinity RAID Problem

ibmraidmanibmraidman australia mate
edited November 2006 in Hardware
G'Day all

I have been having trouble with my simple RAID setup in my old netfinity server ever since someone pulled out one of the drives whle it was running! :shakehead

So I just need a bit of help trying to get it running again, it has a IBM 3L RAID card in it with 2 9.1g drives.
I can use 1 drive normaly without the RAID card but I would like to have the raid running.

it just says when it starts that 2 drives not resopnding or found at new locations:scratch:

Can anyone out there help me? any help would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I've not used a card as old as a 3L but I use IBM 6i, 6m and 7k all day long, so here's what I know :)

Both drives are no longer recognised by the SCSI card as an array. Put them into the server with it powered down and reboot. Once it reboots, it will say that error and offer you a set of prompts. You will need to then go into the SCSI BIOS by hitting a key specified and rearrange your array.

Things to be aware of:

You are going to have mark the drives as defunct. You can pull drives out while it's running but you gotta put another drive in before you reboot or the SCSI card get it's knickers in a knot.

Make sure you know the front slot configuration of the server as it will match the SCSI IDs listed in the RAID controller. IBM servers SCSI ids usually start from ID0 which corresponses to a matching slot on the front of the server. The card itself will use ID7, so put the original working drive in slot 0 on the front. The replacement "mirror" in slot1.

Does that make any sense ? :)