KG7-R + 2500 Barton = Goodness!

edited June 2003 in Hardware
Well, after playing with the 2500 in my Asus board yesterday and today, I decided to start trying it in my older mobo's and the KG7-R was the easiest to put it on. Installed the proc, hit the power button and started right away. Went into bios and set the multi to 13, which is read as a 12.5 by this board and set a fsb speed of 150 and saved and rebooted. Booted right up in windows, no problems and it's presently running quite nicely at 1875. After I make sure it's stable I plan to try the EP-8KHA+ next. Attached is a WCPU/Sandra screenie:

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Can it go higher?
  • edited June 2003
    Oh, I'm sure it can go much higher. I'm just testing this out to let other people know that they can upgrade this way with no problems. You could hard code a 16 multi with this particular proc and have a MP2800+ rating out of it easily. I just don't want to mess with the bridges on it because I don't need to for my A7N8X.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    My #2 Barton maxed out 2.33ghz v1.85. I tried 2.36 but that was a no go even at v2.0

A Barton FSB333 2.33g or FSB400 2.30ghz (PR3200 or 3300+) is pretty good AFAIK for $90
  • edited June 2003
    You got that right, Omega. So far, this one has gone to 200 X 11 with only 1.7v vcore. After I do my experimenting I will get it back in my Asus board and max it out.

One thing I've noticed about this Barton so far though; it is folding faster at 11 X 200 than the Tbred I had in that board before, running at 13 X 180(2340). I think that it must be the extra L2 cache helping the folding speed out because I've never noticed any increased folding speed due to higher memory bandwidth before. Folding Gromacs of course.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    IT should fold the same. L2 cache doesnt really matter.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    I noticed an increase in my output also. It's why I haven't swapprd them out of the Epox's and I bought two more.

I thought they would fold the same but the Bartons are noticeably faster.