Inexpensive Web Server

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
Help me build an inexpensive web server for my job, I need to propose this to my boss and I need it to be inexpensive. This is mostly for internal use, though well be able to access it at home or away from the office as well. There's only like 20 of us and maybe 5 at a time using it, or at all lol.

I am reading up on installing and using LAMP, so Linux compatibility is a must. I don't have a specific budget as I have yet to propose this, but we need it and this is gonna be the best way to get it going with the way things work here.

Thanks guys :bigggrin:

I was trying to look for this stuff on my own, but I am unsure what I might need. I know I don't need good graphics, built in is just fine. But I don't know about backups. I guess I need to ask a boss about how our backup system works and if I can somehow integrate it with this server. We have some really cool equipment that I have no idea about lol.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    If you really need to build this yourself just make sure its rack mounted and in a proper case. Personally I'd only build as a last resort in a corporate environment.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    This is a small company... I'll take what I can get. :P

Though we do have room for more rack mount systems.

Also I'd like to note that this isn't some systems critical thing either, it's to help out. If it goes down we'd have our current slow means of gathering the information this would provide.
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited November 2006
    The more dynamic things that the server deals with (databases, complex PHP, and dynamic graphics) the more memory and processing power it will need.

Since it's not mission critical or going to be under heavy load you can simply build a middle to high end desktop and put it in a server case.

Dual core socket 939 processors are cheap ($200) with AM2 out now. The technology is not bleeding-edge and upgrading is limited but still it sounds like it will suit.